Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this teething?

Default Is this teething?

My 5 month old (adjusted 4 mo) is crying or nursing All. The. Time.
    This is new this past week. She's not generally so fussy. She's also fighting naps all of a sudden. Is this just babies being babies? Or teething?

If it's teething, what can I do for her? She's not yet coordinated to keep much other than her fists in her mouth. I hate to give Tylenol when I could just nurse - especially since I'm not sure she's hurting. But it would also be nice to sleep at least a little.

On the plus side, my supply has never been so abundant.

Default Re: Is this teething?

Teething or an ear infection would be my guesses. You might want to stop by the doc's office and rule out the ear infection possibility.

Good for you for being so open to increased nursing! There's nothing like it for solving a baby's problems.

ETA: I went back and reread your post and realized that your baby is only 4 months, adjusted. That suggests a 3rd possibility: the 4 month fussies. Very common, associated with an increased frequency of night waking.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mommal, be honest with me, is there a name for fussiness at every stage? I heard "oh 2-3 months is the worst" and now the 4 month fussies and next comes teething. I think I'm being played

Yeah, my DH and I used to say the same thing. First it was "Oh, it all gets easier at 6 weeks", then it was "6 months, that's the turning point", then it was "Well, once they're through the terrible twos it's a breeze"- and it just kept going like that! My DH said "They keep shifting the goalposts on us". Really, the truth is that each stage has its unique challenges.

That being said, the fact that there are some widely used terms for the 4 month stage- "the 4 month fussies" and "the 4 month sleep regression"- at least points to the possibility that there is something real and observable going on at this point.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Good point. I'm going to hang my hopes on this & plan on getting a few more hours of sleep soon. Thanks

Eta: yesterday I came down w a cold, so maybe she wasn't feeling so great either. And I've given up on having her nap anywhere by my arms for a few days. We can both use the down time.

Lol, my son had a five month fussies too (now he's six months).

Another possibility is a growth spurt. My son had one at about 4 months. He had tons of extra nursing, much less sleeping and general bad-moodiness.