Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: dropping a pump session

Default dropping a pump session

Want to try dropping one pump session. We are at 11 mos now. He still drinks 9-12 oz at daycare. I get 12-16 now with four pumps. Is my supply overall going to plummet? Scared to compromise my supply. Hes on some solids but doesnt eat a ton and has cow milk allergy.

Default Re: dropping a pump session

Given the low solids intake and the cow's milk allergy, I think it's nice to be able to rely on the expressed milk heading into baby's second year. How much expressed milk do you have in the freezer? I think I might continue with four pumping sessions now, see where you are with daytime solids intake in a month (things can change fast), and depending on how much you have in the freezer and how solids are going at that point, drop a session then. If you stockpile some extra by continuing with four sessions now, it may mean that you can pump wean a bit earlier down the line. I totally hear you on wanting to cut back on pumping - sounds like you have done a wonderful job pumping so far and you're getting really close!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Given the low solids intake and the cow's milk allergy, I think it's nice to be able to rely on the expressed milk heading into baby's second year. How much expressed milk do you have in the freezer? I think I might continue with four pumping sessions now, see where you are with daytime solids intake in a month (things can change fast), and depending on how much you have in the freezer and how solids are going at that point, drop a session then. If you stockpile some extra by continuing with four sessions now, it may mean that you can pump wean a bit earlier down the line. I totally hear you on wanting to cut back on pumping - sounds like you have done a wonderful job pumping so far and you're getting really close!
    Something has to give. I have massive mommy guilt over it but it is getting very difficult. Im a single full time working mom. i have prob 200 oz

Okay, so you have a ton of milk in the freezer. And it sounds like you are usually over what you need with the four sessions. So I think it would be reasonable to drop down to three sessions at this point. And keep working on the solids. No need to feel guilty - you've done a wonderful job!