Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Good Idea, or Bad Suggestion?

Question Good Idea, or Bad Suggestion?

My niece, daughter of my wife’s older sister, is about to have her first, having waited relatively late in life. She’s always worked and is contemplating taking her child with her, after about 3 months, on her business journeys, which take her all over the world. I’ve listened to the three of them, her mother and my wife included, talking over various aspects of this proposed endeavor. Of course the baby will be breastfeeding.

She’ll more than likely have ample supply, as my wife and her sister did. They’re big, busty women, who nursed their children past 2 years of age. Being a “modern woman,” I wonder how much of her women’s culture is going to translate towards maintaining her business activities. Upon hearing about this, my first thoughts were “How will you clean up, as often as you’ll need?”

My memories of rearing young infants, whenever I was home, was a blur of washing fannies with warm, soapy wash-cloths, lots of nursing sessions and the smell of sour milk.

Many is the time I’ve tossed in my wife’s bras, with my underwear and other whites, to be taken aback by the smell of them having soured in the washing pile! The way she’d saturate a set of those adsorbent bra liners, on a trip to and from our buying groceries, left no wonder as to why. Washing herself and changing bras often, kept down the specter of thrush. Only once did I go to a pharmacy for a cream to combat it.

It’s this last mention which has me considering introducing my niece to the idea of using ozonated olive oil, to rub onto her breasts, as a protection against fungus and bacterial growth. If her business activities were to preclude her washing herself, or changing clothing with the frequency she could achieve were she at home, I could see it being of great assistance!

I have a reliable source of high quality product, not this fly-by- night stuff one sees on the internet. I use it myself and feel very comfortable offering it to her, from a “quality” standpoint.

However, it has a strong smell. Could she get used to it? Would the infant object to its smell on her clothing? Would it bother her customers?

One doesn’t wish to get the stuff in one’s eyes; it stings. Were she to wipe her bosom clear of it, prior to nursing, what is the likelihood of it transferring from her clothing, getting into and irritating those of the baby?

Not wishing to complicate my niece’s life with a bad idea and already running the risk of getting a gang of “Why are you getting involved in this?” stares, from the trio, I’d like some comment, or feedback from anyone here, who has used it for any purpose.

If it’s positive, I won’t mind loading myself into the breech! I feel it’s worth it, if it helps her reach her dreams!

Verril

Default Re: Good Idea, or Bad Suggestion?

I think you're overthinking the problem. Personal hygeine is generally pretty easy for a nursing mom to manage, even on the road. All she really needs is some good nursing pads, an occasional quick rinse or wipe with a clean cloth, baby wipe, or paper towel, and to change her clothes if they get really soaked with milk, spit-up, or baby poop. She should definitely avoid products with a strong smell- babies can be quite sensitive to odors- and anything with the potential to irritate skin or eyes.

It's great that you're supportive and want to help, but this is one where it's probably best for you to step back and say "Gosh, I am sure that anything you plan will work out just fine!" If you want to be extra helpful, buy her a nice wet bag- they're great for containing soiled items when you're on the move.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I’d hoped to hear from someone who had actual experience using, or attempting to use the ointment. The human mind is quite ingenious and anecdote from someone who actually tried it for the purpose we’re discussing would have been great. But, I guess after 250 some odd views, with no such reply, there probably won’t be one.
    I use it for many things and don’t get it in my eyes and I quickly acclimate to the smell. I would have hoped someone, as clever as the women I know, would have addressed the issue and come to condemn it as being either outlandishly foolish, or have developed some ingenious, foolproof way of using it. I do take note of the fact my wife, who also uses and knows of the stuff, has not suggested using it in my proposed application, or she would have asked me to buy some for my niece!
    Your comment about the necessity of changing clothes, for their being soiled with other elements of the baby’s existence, only alarms me further, strongly bringing back memories of such. My wife had the relative luxury of being at home, while caring for herself and the kids. I just don’t see that translating into the corporate office setting.

In truth, we men are far more demure when it comes to opening up our clothes and wiping ourselves down, in an office restroom. In a Greyhound bus station, one might expect to see such, even in that of an airport. But, to display such extraordinary behavior, it being far from the normal “business” decorum, would be an affront to our vanity. We would see it as having to remove our “face” of calm, cool, sagacious demeanor.

Perhaps the cultural expectations of women are different and it wouldn’t mean a thing. But, to travel to a client’s office building and even in the event of her being able to “occupy” a corporate office’s executive restroom, I see the need for “odd” behavior. What is she going to do, haul around a suitcase, with changes of clothes, baby care kit and the child? My mind can’t even wrap itself around the concept of her pulling this off in a normal business setting. I’m obviously missing something of the picture she has in mind! The issue of her using the ozonated olive oil, or not, is distant, almost non-existent concern.

So, you’re right. I’m clearly “over thinking” this and probably very much out of my element.
    I thank you for your reply. It’s not the anecdotal input for which I had hoped. Yet, in the future, one of you might see this question and give such an answer. By then, however, the baby will have probably arrived and my niece be facing her adventure.

Verril

Interesting. I cannot say this is a bad idea, I have simply not heard of using olive oil for this. But some moms I know (and a couple lactation consultants I know) suggest coconut oil for helping to prevent bacterial infection when nipples are sore or damaged, and as a treatment (or part of a treatment) for thrush.

But the thinking about basic nipple hygiene these days is to basically leave well enough alone. Where once breastfeeding mothers were encouraged to wash the breast frequently, to take great precautions with air drying after nursing, etc, these recommendations have fallen away. Breastmilk itself is so resistant to bacterial growth that there is usually no need to worry about doing anything to the nipples (washing, creams, etc.) unless there is injury, infection, or yeast overgrowth already happening. Also now there are a great variety of breast pads one can purchase, both washable and disposable, which make nursing on the go more simple.

I cannot imagine your niece will not be able to change soiled clothes. No one wants to walk around in a leaked on (or spit up on) shirt on, so I assume she will find a way. Also, leaking is something that 1) is very individual as to whether it happens or not and actually has little to do with milk production and 2) usually calms down after the first couple of months.

I think it is wonderful your niece will be taking her breastfeeding baby around the world as she does her job. I am with you, as a mom who finds it impossible to not be at least 30 minutes late for anything for at least the first 6 months after having a baby, such a thing seems like an overwhelming task to me personally, but many mothers have done this or something similarly challenging. Certainly from the baby's point of view, this is preferable to not being with mom as she works, or travels for work. I am sure she has thought about the fact she will need to bring changes of baby clothes, baby wipes, and diapers with her, and on top of all that, a change of shirt for herself is not really much to add. If her job allows her to keep baby with her most of the time and nurse as much as she likes and baby requires, assuming breastfeeding is going well and she has a good baby carrier, she and baby will be fine. I think the most difficult aspect will probably be diaper changes, not nursing. If she & baby are going to be living in different parts of the world and she will be leaving her baby with a caregiver at wherever she is staying while she works, I assume she will be bringing a pump wherever she goes and again, on top of that, a change of shirt & bra is nothing.

There is an interesting website for breastfeeding mothers who serve in the military. Your niece may find good tips for the challenges of travel with baby from them as well as from the working moms here. http://breastfeedingincombatboots.com/

I was still hoping for someone who has actually used this stuff, to make comment here. However, I wanted to clear up any misunderstanding of this ointment being akin to "olive oil." It's a different creature.

With ozone having combined with all double bonds between carbon atoms on the fatty acid chains of its triglycerides (the oil molecules) it transforms into a grey, oxidizing salve. The only thing "oily" about it, is one can rub it into one's skin.
    Wherever it penetrates, it drags the ozone with which it compounded. The three oxygen molecules, the ozone, are waiting for any opportunity to steal electrons from (oxidize) anything offering them more easily than those between the two carbon atoms where they're situated.
    That is its advantage over a strictly topical, short lasting oxidizing antiseptic such as alcohol, or tincture of iodine.
    You'll feel it sting on an open wound, or if you get it in your eyes. The stinging stops, once the portion of it closest to your body, has reacted. The rest sits on top, unspent; a barrier ready to oxidize anything coming in contact with it, be it germs, fungus, etc. It lasts as long as the ointment is present, un-reacted and hasn't been washed away. That can be for more than several hours.

It's a nice idea, but it has its difficulties in this application. One would have to try it, to get a better idea of with what one is dealing.

I hope this dispels the idea of it being anything like "olive oil," or that of coconut.

Verril
    Last edited by @llli*verril; June 2nd, 2014 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks for the clarification. I am sorry no one has been able to answer your question.