hi I am writing this post in desperation. i had my healthy baby boy 6 weeks ago and despite all the effort I put in, I am still only producing about 10 ounces of milk daily. I am literally running out of ideas and feel exhausted and despair, pls help me figure out what I missed here or if it's still possible to increase my milk supply. Below is my basic information
1) I had my baby at 42 weeks through induction. It took 24 hours for me to fully dilate and 20min to push out the baby. No tear and any complication afterwards. I did use epidural in the process, but cut it off in the last hour right before I was getting ready to push
2) The baby was born 8 pounds and we had skin to skin for two hours right after he came out. However, he wasn't interested in breast and just wanted to sleep. The lactation consultant in the hospital told us it's very normal to have a sleepy baby in the first day. So we let him sleep. I started feeding him second day. It was soon apparent that nothing was coming out of my breast-- we tried manual expression, medela hospital pump, compression, nothing came out, not even a drop.
3) Under the recommendation of the nurse, I started supplementing him on the third day with a syringe while breastfeeding. He latched on quite good, and appeared happy with the formula, but I still didn't have any colostrum
4) I went home at the end of third day and keep pumping and breastfeeding my baby with the help of the syringe. Thought once the engorgement comes, I will be in a much better place. Sadly that day never came, I waited and waited till the 8th day, my breast never became full at all. The only improvement is I started seeing drops of milk came out when I pump, and when I squeeze my nipples hard, I can see tiny milk slowly coming out
5) I got a lactation consultant come to my house on the 9th day to check what was going on. She said the baby's latch is very good and also confirmed that the baby was getting nothing from my breast using a baby scale. She also confirmed I don't have tubular breasts based on the look of my breast and the fact that I boobs grew significantly throughout the pregnancy. She recommended me to use SNS to breast feed and also increase the frequency of pumping
6)So since day 9, I have been pumping 8 sessions per day while continuing breastfeeding my son every 3 hours. I was literally either pumping or feeding at any moment. I also started took fenugreek , blessed thistle, goat's rue, mother's milk tea to boost the supply
7)At 2 weeks mark, my supply improved from drops to about 0.2 ounces. I got a breastfeeding doctor to visit the house. She checked my thyroid and hormones, and all confirmed normal. She also confirmed my son's latch is good and I don't have tubular breasts. With all the regimen I had, she recommended me to start domperidone. I also started taking brewer's yeast and iron pills the same time.
8)so since then, I have been pumping at least 8 times and breastfeed my baby at least 5 times with SNS (my son stopped waking up at night at three weeks) every day. I am still taking fenugreek, blessed thistle, goat's rue, brewers yeast, iron and domperidone every day. I also do 1 hour power pumping in the nite session: pump 15 min, massage the breast for 10 min then pump another 15 min then massage and repeat for the entire hour. Of course, not to mention I drink tons of water and liquid all the times.
9)Fast forward to today, with the stuff I mentioned above, I am still not generating much milk. I can pump about 0.6 ounce milk per hour now, but that the rate of milk production goes down significantly if I don't keep emptying the breast. With two hour rest, I could pump about 1 ounce. With three hours rest, I could pump 1.3, and with four hour rest, I could do 1.6. I never reach the point of feeling full in my breast at all despite how long I wait to pump.
10)Tomorrow my baby will be six weeks now. I am so exhausted and despaired. Can anyone tell me if there is anything else for me to try to increase the milk production? At this point, is it still possible to increase the supply at all? Any idea what went wrong with me? Thank you so much, I am at the verge of giving up breastfeeding, pls give me some hope. Thank you again.