Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Increase or decrease pumping frequency for a sick baby?

Default Re: Increase or decrease pumping frequency for a sick baby?

I was just checking Google Scholar for articles on C. diff in infants and found some literature on probiotics being used as part of treatment. Is that something you're incorporating?

Here's the abstract I found: http://journals.lww.com/jpgn/abstrac...ridium.13.aspx
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes Mommal, that's what we're trying to do, breastmilk as prebiotic, S boulardii and Lactobacillus reuteri as probiotics, and Flagyl to treat. Just re-building LO's gut flora with harmless microbes. Numerous references stated that S. Boulardii has shown statistically significant improvement in C. difficile associated diarrhea and colitis. I compared the data myself, it made sense (I am a grad student aside from being a mom). It cannot be used as a treatment per se, but it's a good prophylaxis in recurrent disease. This one was available for babies:

http://www.florastor.com/probiotic-supplements

Lactobacillus species also seem to contribute to improvement but only L. reuteri from BioGaia is available for babies.

I also read a study that a baby is unlikely to get this from mom during delivery but more likely at the hospital. Ultimately, it's the use of quinolone antibiotics and Clindamycin that contribute to the development of disease.

In case anyone ever needs this information, silicone insert for Philips Avent fits perfectly inside 26mm flange for Ardo Calypso and reduces its diameter. My nipple is no longer sore on that side and pumping is not painful. My pumping output is the same as before. Ardo's own 26mm silicone insert for 31mm flange did nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Mama, you are working so hard and you should be so proud of the way you're caring for your baby.
    Thank you. At least she is getting my milk and not the formula. Last night we had two night time sessions so I keep awake to enjoy at least those. Yeah, it's so sad.

Oh gosh, I totally forgot that you had already mentioned that you were doing probiotics. You're a grad student so you probably know how it is- sometimes you find an article and it drives all prior knowledge out of your head...

So glad to hear that you found a solution to your pumping issue!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Hello again,

I started waking up engorged and leaking for the past few days. I am pumping about 26 oz in 4 sessions, LO’s intake is still around 15 oz pumped milk in addition to evening and night time nursing. So I run a 10 oz surplus that I freeze. Although the stash is growing nicely, I am worried to be waking up engorged because the pumping output is increasing after my morning sessions. When I started pumping over a month ago, I got 200 ml in the morning, I now pump that much from one side alone :s. I don’t want to have to deal with oversupply because I think it lead me to mastitis when LO was 3MO, at that time I could rely on her to help out with mastitis management but now it’s just me and the pump. I stopped taking all galactogogues except Syntocinon nasal spray (it’s a major time saver).

Should I cut down to 3 pumping sessions and space them out evenly to keep this situation under control? Any other suggestions? LO is now 8,5 MO and started eating a little bit more solids so I don’t really need THAT much milk, pumping 19-20 oz is perfectly fine with me. Please help me with your suggestions!

C. Difficile update: LO’s treatment with Flagyl is extended for another 3 weeks and getting her to swallow the dose is tough. But she is doing better now so I really hope for complete recovery this time. Her last pedi said we could try fecal transplant in a few weeks if needed, so husband and I will get tested to see if we can become donors. Really, ick, but whatever works…

You could drop down to 3 sessions, or you could stick with 4 and simply pump a bit less at each one. I think that would be my preferred way of dealing with the problem, because you would be maintaining flow through the breast and that might help ward off mastitis. Mastitis is more likely when there's a lot of milk sitting still for a long time.

Best of luck with the C. diff. What a struggle it has been for you and your baby! I hope the flagyl works!

Thanks mommal! I need to ask, not sure how to approach to this... so if I stick to 4 sessions, I currently pump 300-360 ml in the morning and about 115 ml during every session afterwards.

How much should I try to pump in total per session?
    Should I keep the morning output at, say, 300 ml regarless of how full I feel? It's this session that concerns me the most really.

Let's see... You're currently pumping 26 oz per day and you want to drop down to 19-20, so you're looking to drop about 6-7 oz. Not all at once, because that sets you up for problems with engorgement, and puts you at higher risk for mastitis. It's hard to say exactly how much you should pump per session, because everyone is unique and has a unique response to decreased pumping. But my guess is that you could drop about 0.5-1 oz (15-30 ml) at each one of your sessions and not be uncomfortable.

Now, if you try that and you are getting full and uncomfortable, try hand-expressing until you're back to tolerable but not uncomfortable fullness.

Does that sound like a good plan? It's something you do more by feel than by planning, of course!

Feel rather than plan worries me, I only seem to know how to increase supply . I would think my current problem would be reserved for 0-3 months section of the forum. I didn't expect a mom could get into this situation when baby is nearly 9 MO.

All right then, we have a plan, I will drop very slowly and gradually. I feel uncomfortably full only in the morning really, let's see how it works in the new regimen. It's a supply and demand, right. My demand is 19-20oz so let's adjust supply accordingly.

Thank you so much mommal!

P.S. In case other readers of this forum think I have a life outside of pumping and taking care of the baby - you cannot be more wrong.

Update. LO stopped getting antibiotics five days ago, I pray that we're done with this nasty bacterium... However, cytomegalovirus (CMV) was detected in LO's stool. We found out by pure accident, husband's cousin who is an internist suggested to get LO tested for CMV because in her experience, persistent C diff infections are accompanied either by mononucleosis or CMV. The question is however, how did she get CMV? It's a matter for speculation but everyone pointed a finger at breastmilk... Why is it always breastmilk to blame for everything? I received blood transfusion after delivery, that's where I might have gotten it. I plan to ask to get tested just so I can have it black on white that I don't have to stop giving my milk in case I have to deal with more ignorant pediatricians.

Pumping is going well, I now have 260oz in the freezer .