Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Block Feeding How To

Default Re: Block Feeding How To

I'm a nurse too! But I work full time doing phone triage in a family practice clinic. I have enough milk when she nurses but am having trouble with the pump - there is another thread all about it. I think of all the times I was bordering on engorged and hand-expressed into a towel because I didn't want to overstimulate my supply - now I wish I had pumped some of that extra. It sounds like you must have a good freezer stash started though if you are filling a bottle from one boob. I only block fed for two days but I wish I had just taken advantage of the oversupply instead.
    Last edited by @llli*avesnovuelan; April 14th, 2014 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Typo

Default Re: Block Feeding How To

It can be difficult to rebuild supply in certain circumstances. A mom who is home full-time with her baby, whose baby is a good nurser, and who is nursing on demand will have little or no trouble recovering from a dip in supply. A mom who is working and relying on the pump to manage supply, or who is scheduling her baby's feedings, or whose baby isn't an effective nurser might struggle to recover.

At this point, let's run through exactly what you're seeing. Are you experiencing:
    - Frequent feelings of fullness
    - Able to pump a lot of milk in a short time or with little effort (and if so, how much milk can you get per breast)
    - Baby struggling with fast flow (choking, gasping, coughing, spluttering, clicking, etc.)
    - Baby's poops are consistently green or mucousy
    - Baby is gaining weight extremely fast
    - Baby seems full after eating from just one breast

I read through the other thread and I am thinking that some of the confusion you're having about block feeding might stem from a misunderstanding about how you're supposed to go about it. So, the basic principle of block feeding is that the fuller the unused (blocked) breast gets and the longer it goes between nursing sessions, the more likely it is that your body will detect the fullness and reduce supply. It is not necessary for the unused breast to be engorged between feedings in order for this to happen. Nor is it necessary to go a certain time between feedings in order for block feeding to work, nor to block feed all day long. Many moms need to block feed for only part of the day, and use both breasts at a feeding for other parts.

I know this is all very technical and confusing, but please don't worry too much about it! It sounds like you have a basically happy and healthy baby, and when that is the case, concerns about oversupply and green poops are really just minor annoyances.

Have you tried using reclined nursing positions for the fast flow?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"