Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newborn gotten used to OALD?

Default Newborn gotten used to OALD?

My newborn is 5 weeks old and I found out I have OALD from a lactation consultant pretty much as soon as my milk came in. I still have issues with my baby girl coughing and choking sometimes but we're getting better.

But for the last two weeks or so my daughter will nurse just fine for the first 10 minutes or so then unlatch but she acts like she want right back on. As I try to relatch her she opens wide likes she going to latch on but then won't and starts to cry and fuss. When she does this I'll take that opportunity to burp her then try again but same thing until I switch sides. The. She'll nurse for a while then repeats the fussing. I confused and frustrated and she gets frustrated. Could it be that she has gotten used to the milk coming out so fast that she gets frustrated when it slows down? If not what else could it be?

Default Re: Newborn gotten used to OALD?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ashswain View Post
    Could it be that she has gotten used to the milk coming out so fast that she gets frustrated when it slows down?
    That is a very typical situation for babies who are nursing with OALD. The best thing to do is to let your LO learn how to nurse in such a way that she can control the flow- slow it down when it's too fast, speed it up when it's too slow. It's really tempting to "fix" the flow for your baby, but that puts you in the position of always trying to make things perfect for your little Goldilocks. Not a position you want to be in, long term!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"