Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cannot Wear a Bra & Leaking

Default Cannot Wear a Bra & Leaking

I'm pretty sure I've always had a fast, forceful, or an overactive letdown (not entirely sure if I'm using the correct terminology here).

My issue is twofold.

1.) If I wear a nursing bra, I almost always get a plugged duct or get on the verge of a plugged duct or mastitis. I try to go braless as much as possible while at home as a stay at home mom. When I do wear a nursing bra, I wear it very loosely.
    Does anyone else have this problem?
    How do you remedy this issue?

2.) If I do not wear a nursing bra, my other breast (the one the baby is not nursing) always leaks at almost every feeding, and I use towels to soak up the leakage.

This creates issues with public feedings as I do not feel I can go braless in public due to the leakage. I would also like a bit of coverage and support for my breasts in public.
    How do you remedy this issue when in public?

***It seems to me that these two issues are linked to each other, because when I wear a bra, I do not leak at all or nearly as much, which might be causing the plugged ducts/mastitis issues.***

My baby is 8 months old, and I've yet to fully remedy these issues. My baby has adjusted to my flow very well. I also feel like the supply has evened out more since months ago and the newborn stage, but I still have a fast flow and leakage.

Thank you so much for your help!

Default Re: Cannot Wear a Bra & Leaking

Though it surely wouldn't offer the amount of support that another bra might, have you tried this type of nursing bra?

http://www.amazon.com/Majamas-Womens.../dp/B003ZFAIGS

I have this, and though I use it to sleep in, it could offer SOME support and coverage, with much less constriction than a more structured bra (and thus, I would think, less potential for plugged ducts?). Do the nursing bras you currently use have underwire? If so, it would be worth trying one with out. I still haven't ventured back to the world of underwire, and find this style pretty comfortable, day-in, day0out:

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Silk-Seam...ywords=bravado

Is it possible that your bras are incorrectly sized? It might be worth going to a specialty store that can measure you, and provide specific recommendations. Is there a boutique maternity / nursing store near you?

What kind of bra are you wearing? I was getting plugs from an underwire nursing bra this time around. Wore it all the time with my first baby and didn't have problems. I ended up going to a nursing store in DC that had a large selection of nursing bras and found some fairly supportive ones that don't have wire. They even had one that had a soft, flexible wire, which I may get when I'm ready for new bras. If you're already not wearing an underwire bra, you may need to try other kinds -- have you tried a Bravado nursing tank? They were more supportive than I thought they'd be, but not bra-like.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Thank you both for the replies. I greatly appreciate your input.

To answer your questions, the nursing bra does not contain wires. I have not worn bras with wires for years even before I was nursing as I feel they're rather damaging to breasts.

The bra is correctly sized as well, which is why I'm stumped and a bit desperate for help.
    Last edited by @llli*thawingsnow; December 16th, 2014 at 04:26 PM.

Thank you erin.in.middletown for the links. I posted a quick reply above explaining more.

I have 2 types of wireless nursing bras I got from a specialty store that look almost exactly like both of the bras you posted. I am so stumped and pretty desperate to remedy this problem.

It makes nursing hard, because how am I supposed to easily get out of the house when I have this to contend with, you know? I believe in nursing, but I'd like to remedy this. Eight months is long time to feel holed away at home partly because of this.

Thank you so much for your help!
    Last edited by @llli*thawingsnow; December 16th, 2014 at 04:27 PM.

If you apply gentle pressure to the leaky side with your hand while you nurse from the other it reduces the leakage. My LC told me to do this and after a while for me the leaking on the other side stopped.

Instead of a bra have you tried a nursing vest with support in it? It's not as supportive as a bra, but would had nursing pads and provide coverage. I actually don't even bother with the nursing version and just use regular vests with the support in an a tshirt over the top. (Mine were from Costco as they were relatively cheap and are a 'longer' length)

http://m.hm.com/gb/product/13906?article=13906-A
    Last edited by @llli*bsua65; December 16th, 2014 at 04:49 PM.