Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! When Breastfeeding to sleep stops working?..

Default Help! When Breastfeeding to sleep stops working?..

What do u do?!?

My little guy turned 1 this week and for the past few weeks it's been getting more difficult to get him to sleep. He has always been breast fed to sleep and it worked a treat. Also worked through the night. Quick feed then back to sleep, all be it anywhere from 3-15 times a night eek!!!

Anyway... He has started to feed with his eyes open and then get up and not want to nurse any longer but is visibly tired?.. It's like it's just lost that magic power of putting him to sleep. If I put him in his cot awake he screams blue murder and I haven't tried crying it out as not sure I agree with that... I've tried a dummy which is hit and miss. Most times he pulls it out and throws it in the floor so I'm back to rocking him!... It's worse at 2.3.4 in the morning as he is so awake!

Help!!!!

Default Re: Help! When Breastfeeding to sleep stops working?..

My LO stopped falling asleep while nursing at around the same time. Definitely frustrating when you lose the magical power of nursing to sleep! But nursing is still part of our going to sleep routine. We nurse, she lies in bed with me for a while, sometimes rocks (and she is now 2 - I personally don't have any problems with rocking to sleep!), sometimes songs. Also as language skills improve (and their ability to understand what you're saying starts a lot earlier than their ability to verbalize) I found that talking her through the process started to help a lot as well. You'll figure out a new routine...

In my experience a baby not been able to fall asleep while nursing is sometimes a temporary issue. When my kids get like this, I start introducing a bedtime routine (I usually don't bother with much of one before that) so I start introducing things like reading a story telling a story singing a song, warm bath, getting in the special nighttime Pajamas, turning the lights down low etc. etc. whatever works for you would be the idea. avoiding overstimulation in the hour or two before bed is one of the most important things I found. Screens of any kind will overstimulate the eye and the mind and make it more difficult to fall asleep (TV video games etc.)

After I have done the whole routine, I will lay down with baby and nurse. If they don't fall asleep while nursing I ask them to stay in the darkened room with me while I comfort with touch and voice. If it's really not working I may take them to their dad so he can rock them or walk them to sleep. Then when they are more tired, I Will try nursing again. Sometimes there is a bit of back-and-forth.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    After I have done the whole routine, I will lay down with baby and nurse. If they don't fall asleep while nursing I ask them to stay in the darkened room with me while I comfort with touch and voice. If it's really not working I may take them to their dad so he can rock them or walk them to sleep. Then when they are more tired, I Will try nursing again. Sometimes there is a bit of back-and-forth.
    This is pretty much exactly what I did when my daughter went through a similar thing around the same age. I would say that I can still nurse to sleep most of the time now (she is 17 months), but it takes longer than it used to in the past. And there are usually little breaks peppered in where she flops around, or needs to talk about something, or whatever it is that she needs to help wind her brain down, before I can convince her to come on back and nurse the rest of the way down.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!