Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation possible

Default Relactation possible

Hello everyone. I am trying to get myself to relactate for someone else. I have a dear friend of mine who isn't able to breastfeed (her supply never came in and she has tried everything, including working with multiple LLL people) and her baby won't take anything but breast milk. My youngest child is 3 but I stopped nursing her around 17 months ago. It took a few months for my milk to dry up but occasionally, I had drops, here or there, for about 6 months after it dried up. I have been hand expressing 7-8 times a day for the last 2 weeks and something is definitely changing. I noticed the change this morning. I am hoping if I continue to keep at it...I am getting a breast pump tomorrow (another friend of mine shipped me hers, to her parents and I'm picking it up tomorrow) and I'm hoping this will help even more. I'm not sure if I'll be able to produce enough to help my friend out completely but I'm more than willing to do anything for her, she's my best friend. Anyone have an advice or tips for me?

Default Re: Relactation possible

How generous of you to help your friend!

The best thing you can do is to pump frequently using a good pump with correctly fitting shields. A newborn baby typically nurses around 10-12 times a day, so if you can aim to pump at that frequency or somwhere close to it, you should bring your milk in more or less just the way a nursing newborn would bring it in.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She's one of my best friends and I'd do anything for her. If I can start producing again, I'd be more than willing to nurse her baby and she'd be more than willing to let me, so that he can eat and continue to thrive. I had issues nursing my kiddos but pumping works but every baby is different.

How long should I be pumping for every time? I will shoot for 10-12 times a day. It hasn't been that long for me but I forgot how often they feed as newborns! LOL!

Is there anything else that I can do to help them?? I can't do any of the prescription med's, as my insurance won't cover them and I can't afford them out of pocket.

The more you pump, and the longer you pump for, the sooner you'll see milk and the more you'll get. I'd aim for 10-20 minute sessions, and if you can swing 10-12 sessions per day, awesome. But don't feel like you've failed if you can only manage 8. Or five. Or one. Every little bit helps!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So I don't know a lot about this but I did stumble across this the other day
    http://www.motherlove.com/product/59...-Capsules.html

It says it can help adoptive mothers, so it might be worth trying.

Also if she is willing to let you nurse him I would say go ahead and try even if you don't think you have milk. A baby will stimulate production better than anything.

She is more than willing since she wants him to be healthy and eat. I was more than willing to offer it so he can be healthy and to help her out. I told her that I need to pump more and longer and she's going to text me every time I pump, we are going to set up a schedule. She's just gonna talk to me via text while I pump to keep me distracted and going.

What do I do about pumping at work since they know I'm done now??

what is baby living off of now?

I think it very likely you can relactate, and admirable you wish to do so. But I hope your friend is not putting all her eggs in your basket. Because whether you will make enough for an infant to live and thrive on is another question entirely. Most to the time, a baby whose mom is unable to make milk requires more than one donor.

I have no idea how you would want to handle pumping at work. Milk sharing is a pretty controversial topic, and as far as I know, you would not be protected legally as you would (in many circumstances) pumping at work for your own child. So you would want to think hard about how a request for time and a space to pump is going to be received by your employer. Depending on how much privacy you can get for your regular breaks, you may find that you will only be able to hand express at work, or do all your expressing when not at work.

There are websites that facilitate informal milk sharing, and some of them may have tips for pumping and working, as might the human milk banking association?

baby is living off of milk from a few donors. one being his aunt (my friends sil) who now wants to start charging her for the milk.

she's not the one pushing this, i am. i feel bad and i want to be able to help her and help her baby.

that's what I was guessing but i wasn't for sure.

i will have to look into those places, thank you so much.