Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fertility meds and breasdfeeding

Default Fertility meds and breasdfeeding

Hello my name is Tina and I am new to this site. I am the mother of a 13 month old and strong nursing baby. She has never had a bottle or pacifier. I am in the process of becoming a surrogate and will be taking fertility meds when I start. My question is if I wean during this time can I start nursing again if I get PG? Or would it be better to just wean her at that point. She is down to two feedings in the day time and before bed, but im working on getting her to sleep through the night because she was waking me to many times. so if all goes well by the end of the week I will have it to three times a day. any advice would be greatly welcomed....Tina

Default Re: Fertility meds and breasdfeeding

I don't know anything about the safety of fertility meds and breastfeeding, so I can't speak to that. However, breastfeeding while pregnant is possible and safe.

Lisa

Thank you for getting back to me, I am going to try and get as much info as possible before I start the meds and see if I can keep BF her. I hate to stop, but will If I have to for a short time and try to start again....

You'll definitely want to be pumping in the interim, then, to keep your supply going.

Lisa

Default Re: Fertility meds and breasdfeeding( Progesterone and Estradiol Valerate (E2V)

Progesterone and Estradiol Valerate (E2V)*

THese are the meds I will be taking does anyone know if I can still nurse while taking them..

Try checking this resource:
    Massachusetts Breastfeeding Coalition: Medications and Breastfeeding
    (includes info about Dr. Thomas Hale and other resources)
    HTH

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thank you so much!!

There's also Thomas Hale's discussion boards: http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/cgi-b...s&access=guest

Unfortunately only health care professionals can post here, but as a guest you can do a search for the drugs you mentioned. I've found it to be a very useful site!

"The older breastfeeding mother who needs fertility drugs in order to conceive is hampered by the fact that there doesn't seem to be any study available that evaluates the effect of such drugs on the nursing baby. Weaning is therefore the safest option. Again, even when the mother chooses to wean, there is no guarantee that she will have another child."

To visit the link where this above quote comes from, click on the quote.

For some tips on weaning, if this happens to be the choice you make, perhaps you may find the following information useful:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/weanhowto.html
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJanFeb04p15.html
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/weantoddler.html

Talking with your doctor about the fertility drugs and breastfeeding may be something to consider.

Regards,

Eve
    LLLI Leader
    Last edited by LLLMamaEve; December 1st, 2006 at 08:12 PM.

[QUOTE=LLLMamaEve;90732][URL="http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug02p124.html Again, even when the mother chooses to wean, there is no guarantee that she will have another child."[/URL]

This is precisely why I have not forced my child to wean. At the age of 42 my chances of actually getting pregnant and staying pregnant are nil to none anyways. That is based on my own hormone levels and medical history, some women at 42 may be more fertile than I am.

I have taken progestorone and estradial valerate, they dried my milk up. My nursling is almost four though and doesn't mind. I would not risk it if my child was under the age of two or even three.