Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pumping at work

Default Re: pumping at work

Jeanette and Karen,

Thanks so much for these ideas. I actually took a break from pumping over the weekend and just nursed exclusively which helped remind me that regardless of my pumping output my baby still prefers me!!! Thanks for that reminder of what I'm really doing which is breastfeeding my baby and continuing this very wonderful relationship.

I'm going to try the suggestion to alternate the suction and speed and will try and add more sessions.

One question on my Pump in Style, which is 5 years old - there is water in my tubes, is that harmful and do i need to get new ones? How do I know if the motor might be wearing out?

New tubes are quite inexpensive, so I would suggest obtaining them. I'm not sure how water would come to get into the tubes, but it's a good idea to have your whole pump looked at by someone qualified to evaluate it's performance and power. I don't know for certain, but I think checking Medela's website to find certified dealers in your area would be a good way to begin.

I'm glad you took a pumping break over the weekend. It can be helpful for two reasons - first, as you found, sometimes it's helpful to just reduce the stress that we place on ourselves when we pump and become a bit, shall we say obsessed about output. Secondly, the baby is much more efficient than a pump, so all that nursing can help stimulate your supply even more than an extra pumping session. Once you're back into the workweek you can work on finding the time for that. More frequent, shorter pumping sessions have been shown to stimulate supply better than fewer longer duration ones.

Good luck with this, and let us know how it goes!

Karen
    LLL Leader in IL

I thought I posted this question but don't see it... so here goes again. If there is moisture in my pump's tubing is that a problem?

OOPS i DIDN'T GO TO THE SECOND PAGE! THANKS KAREN. And I think my tubes have water in them because the attachments are still wet when I use them the next time. Does this happen to anyone else?

Thanks for the advice!

I also exclusively BF this weekend and that seemed to help as well. This allowed my to get back up in the fridge for the week. The suction theory is also very interesting.

I find it very hard to find time at work to pump, on Monday I was lucky to get one pumping session in and the second waiting until I got home at 6 pm - I am sure that doesn't help!

I am also curious to know if a pump is working effectively - since mine is borrowed I have no frame of reference as to how it should operate.

People underestimate the "work" that goes into pumping at work... sometimes it just takes practice to get up and running! I would definitely check your pump parts - if you have a PIS, check the membranes (they cost less than a dollar and if they are warped you'll have less suction).

Also, one thing no one mentioned for supply was oatmeal!!!!!!!!!!! It is amazing how much oatmeal helps with supply issues. Even oatmeal cookies help.

Also, you might want to try pumping for 10 minutes, waiting 5-10 and then pumping another 10 minutes. I never need that since I usually have 2 letdowns, but people swear by this technique.

Good luck! All of the advice was great and you are doing fantastic!!!
    ~Wendy

Those that were asking about moisture in the tubes. Yes that can be a problem because it will eventually get moldy. The best thing I have found to do is to leave the pump running for a minute or two once I'm done with just the tubing attached, that will usually take out all the moisture.

I appologize if this is off the subject, but does anyone have a problem with supervisors not letting you take a break?
    My supervisor does not give me any breaks but lunch, so I have to sneak out to the bathroom and pump there real quick. My supply is really down, I am trying to increase it and the stress thatis involved is not really helping.
    I was wondering... If anyone has the same problem, how do you deal with it? Trying to explain that it is very important for me and my baby did not help - " switch to the Formula" was the answer to my 20 minute lecture about how important breastfeeding is...

This is method is hard work, but I believe that it works.

By 7 months, you and your baby are probably sleeping through the night. A long period of time without emptying the breasts like that would cause an decrease in milk supply. So, eventhough it's horrible, but getting up in the middle of the night (2 or 3 am) to pump will help to increase your prolactin hormon level, thus increase your milk supply.

I read this somewhere and follow this advice when my baby boy was about 8 or 9 months old and it worked for me.

Good luck!