Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still nursing 19 month old, but want to stop pumping...

Talking Still nursing 19 month old, but want to stop pumping...

My daughter is 19 months old and I have nursed her since day one. She's never had the taste of formula in her mouth. I returned to work full time when she turned 3 months old and I have always pumped at work. Of course I did it more often in the beginning, 3 or 4 times a day. But now I only pump once a day and most days only bring home 2-3 ounces.. She also doesn't drink a bottle much anymore when I am at work. My mother says that today was the first day all week that she's wanted a bottle. When I am at home it's a different story, it's "mommy nini!!!" this and "mommy nini!!" that! And I absolutely LOVE it!!!! I love breastfeeding her! It's so special and wonderful. My question is, if I stop pumping will I still be able to nurse her when I'm at home? I don't want my supply to decrease.. But I read a lot of articles and what I am understanding is that at her age, since our breastfeeding relationship is so strong and been going on for so long, my body will adapt and she will still be able to get all the "nini" she wants when I'm at home... I also have a huge freezer stash if there comes a day that she wants some when I'm at work.. I want to be able to still nurse her at night and on the weekends. I have no desire whatesoever to wean her. I will let her decide when she has had enough. Honestly, I think I'll be super sad whenever that time comes!!! Any advice?? Anybody else nurse this long, and stop pumping?? Thanks in advance!!!

Default Re: Still nursing 19 month old, but want to stop pumping...

Yes, I stopped pumping at a year and I'm still nursing my LO, who is now 2. I think you'll be fine dropping that last pumping session at this point. It's also common for toddlers to start rejecting the expressed milk at some point and still continue nursing. Since you still have a lot of expressed milk you might want to try a cup and see if she is more interested in the cup than a bottle. It's wonderful that you've been breastfeeding this long! And it's even nicer to keep nursing once you've liberated yourself from the pump!

I stopped pumping regularly at work at around 16 months (dd was the last one in her class at daycare to keep getting bottles of ebm!) and it hasn't affected my supply at 21 months now. I feel like my breasts are always ready for her, even if I have no idea how much milk is actually coming out sometimes. She's happy, so who cares?
    Mama to a sweet kitty born July 2012.

Thank you! My last day of pumping was last Tuesday, so I went 3 days last week, 8 hours each day, without pumping.. No drop in supply and my baby girl is still very happy and having no issues getting all the milk she wants when I'm home!

That sounds great! Congrats on the pump weaning!