Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump not removing milk

Unhappy Pump not removing milk

I have about 4-5 different flange sizes for the PIS Advanced backpack. I have replaced all parts, but it still isn't adequately removing my milk. It's so bad that I solely hand express but I can't keep this up while trying to get my baby to nurse again. I had the pump checked a few weeks ago and suction is perfect. The person at the nursing store pretty much just told me that some woman quit responding to the pump. Is this true? Is there a way to trick my body?

Default Re: Pump not removing milk

What happens when you try to pump? Are you letting down when pumping? Can you get any milk out at all? Is pumping comfortable or uncomfortable? How long are you pumping for? Have you tried hand compressions while pumping? A lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, may be able to help with making sure the flanges are correctly fitted.

I did speak to an IBCLC about it and she directed me to the nursing store. I have somewhat flat nipples and they are soft. No matter what size I use, a lot of areola goes in the tunnel and rubs it. I have better luck sometimes than others, but even then, I'm pumping 30 minutes or more. Most of the time it takes 10 minutes or more to really let down. This morning I pumped 30 minutes, then hand expressed, then pumped longer. A total of 1 hour! This is not sustainable. Sometimes I do get milk out. This morning, it took 30 minutes and less than a total of 1 ounce of milk. I wouldn't question it except that I'm still full. Pumping isn't really comfortable but not uncomfortable either. Yes, I always use compression while pumping. When I hand express, I letdown immediately. I feel it's a flange fitting issue too, but I've tried like 4 or 5 sizes now.

And all pump parts have been replaced since the issue began.

This reminds me of this recent thread, see if you get any ideas:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...rustrated!!!!!

It sounds like slow/delayed letdown is part of the issue too. Letdown is very much influenced by stress. It can be a vicious cycle - pumping is difficult, then the next time you go to pump you know it's going to be an ordeal, and that delays letdown further. Some mothers find that distraction really helps - reading or listening to music - or meditation-type techniques.

Another thought would be to try a different pump - perhaps a hospital-grade rental - particularly if you are relying extensively on the pump.