Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not Able to Pump Enough Milk

Default Re: Not Able to Pump Enough Milk

I will give it my all. Thank you for all of your support. I have learned that support is everything when it comes to nursing!

I am having the same problem. Rented the hospital grade pump and I've been getting an extra ounce per day. It's only been 2 days so hopefully it continues to improve. I have known many women for whom the PISA isn't enough.

I do this and it helps: When milk stops coming out during pumping, I do compressions to remove any milk that will still come out. Then I remove the pump from my breasts and stimulate the nipples a little, massaging them, and like within 2 minutes I can usually get another letdown. Then I put the pump back on and can usually pump at least another ounce or more.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Rest assured that your breasts are never empty. If you've just pumped, your daughter may have to work a little harder, and nurse a little longer, to get the amount of milk she needs - but that just tells your body to make more milk. So don't worry about there not being anything in there for her. You will ALWAYS have milk for her when she wakes!
    Just a followup question here (which I might also post in a separate topic) - I am sometimes too empty for my baby, and she just refuses to nurse when she's hungry and I don't have anything. She'll suck for a few seconds, figure out not much is coming, and freak out. This behavior, which happens most at the end of the day, then decreases my supply!

Right now my solution is to give her 2 oz EBM and then put her back on the boob. Then she'll at least take it! But I know giving her EBM also decreases supply. Sigh!

How about giving her less EBM in that situation? 2 oz can be enough for an entire feeding. The idea would be to give her just enough so that she's not frantic and is willing to work for the milk at the breast. And then, ideally, you'd make up any EBM you do give her with the pump. Which I know seems like a bit of a vicious cycle but ideally then you get to a point where your supply is buffed up and you don't have to keep doing that.

I went through this around that age too. My solution was a little different (and maybe not all that popular) but it worked for us. I started Ellie on solids at 6 months but only while she was at day care. This meant that the 9-12 oz I was pumping was enough to get her through the day and she had some sort of snack when she got a little fussy. I did not give her solids at home for the first month or so which helped to encourage more nursing, especially on weekends. Not sure if you are ready for solids yet but it certainly helped us when my output was down a little to know that she was eating something and it kept her from getting too fussy at school. Good luck!
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elliemommy View Post
    I went through this around that age too. My solution was a little different (and maybe not all that popular) but it worked for us. I started Ellie on solids at 6 months but only while she was at day care. This meant that the 9-12 oz I was pumping was enough to get her through the day and she had some sort of snack when she got a little fussy. I did not give her solids at home for the first month or so which helped to encourage more nursing, especially on weekends. Not sure if you are ready for solids yet but it certainly helped us when my output was down a little to know that she was eating something and it kept her from getting too fussy at school. Good luck!
    I like that idea - what kind of solids did you send to day care?

avocado, banana, pureed carrots, sweet potato, butternut squash, Plum Organics fruit pouches. And at some point we added in Infant oatmeal which I made with breast milk.
    I tried each food at home once or twice and sent it for three days before adding another one to watch for allergies.
    MY dcp got the fun (stress) of feeding her, I knew she was getting plenty of milk and she nursed like crazy on the weekends to make up for not getting solids.
    ETA- She is almost 14 months now and still eats way more solids at daycare then at home. Home is for nursing and bonding. We both like it better that way

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elliemommy View Post
    avocado, banana, pureed carrots, sweet potato, butternut squash, Plum Organics fruit pouches. And at some point we added in Infant oatmeal which I made with breast milk.
    I tried each food at home once or twice and sent it for three days before adding another one to watch for allergies.
    MY dcp got the fun (stress) of feeding her, I knew she was getting plenty of milk and she nursed like crazy on the weekends to make up for not getting solids.
    ETA- She is almost 14 months now and still eats way more solids at daycare then at home. Home is for nursing and bonding. We both like it better that way
    I may copy your plan! Do you happen to remember which one you did for the very first one?

Avocado was first. The first time she ate it off my finger. When I was actually giving it to her I thinned it with a little breast milk once or twice, mushed it up the next few times and then pieces.
    I think the actual order was avocado, butternut squash, sweet potato, banana, peas, (Everything up to this point on the list was thinned with breast milk, then mushed, then pieces) apple sauce, prunes, carrots, peaches, pears. Then I started wit the veggie pouches. Spinach peas and pears was her favorite, then broccoli apple. I tried to introduce all of the ingredients but one individually then gave the pouch with the mix.
    Good luck!