Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Working and pumping for 18 month old

Default Working and pumping for 18 month old

Hey all... I am in a new situation that I am not quite sure about. DS2 is 18 months old and is still taking a bottle while at my mom's (she babysits). He is down to probably 1 bottle a day but now that he is cutting some new teeth is wanting more bottles daily. I am only pumping one time a day for him now and getting about 4-6 oz. (great output). My mom is upset because I am not pumping more. SHe wants to be able to give bottles whenever he is fussy as it will usually sooth him. She does try other methods but this is her go-to for the fussy times. We use teething tablets when needed but I do not use any other meds unless there is no other choice. I beleive she wants me to pick up my pumping frequency to at least get 2-3 bottles rather then the 1-2 small bottles. The problem is that #1 I despise pumping and had been looking forward to that year mark (my first gave up the bottle at a year on his own) and #2 it causes issues at work to close my office door multiple times a day to pump. - they will not limit my puming I don't beleive and I am a exempt employee so the laws don't actually cover me the same. My workplace is great, but I think they were expecting the same as last time and after a year I would no longer have a pump schedule.

I don't know how to approach this!!! I am very torn and need to find some clarity. I have discussed the issues with pumping with my mom and she just thinks that I am wrong for wanting to wean DS2 from the bottle. Any suggestions ladies??
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03
    Our family blog
    And my own blog

Default Re: Working and pumping for 18 month old

He's 18 months, so he could have a bottle of cow's milk, right? Unless he has a dairy allergy, or won't drink cow's milk, of course.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He won't drink it I'm afraid.. she has tried cows milk warm and cold as well as water.
    Our family blog
    And my own blog

Can you split your current output into smaller bottles? I am still pumping for my 17 month old, but nothing I do now really increases my output. More sessions, longer sessions--I only get 2-4 oz a day at this stage in the game, no matter what I do. So just from the standpoint of not being absolutely sure you COULD provide more if you tried, I would encourage your mom to keep trying figure out another way to soothe your toddler.

I do understand the difficulty here, believe me! My daughter really does still like expressed milk while I work, and is sad sometimes when there is no more during the day. Just this morning my mom said she wished I was still producing another couple of ounces...sigh. But my mom usually just takes her outside or tries something else that is fun for her, and she is always fine pretty quickly!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

4-6 oz is a good amount - does it work for your mom if you split it into smaller bottles? In my case my nanny was pretty aggressive about weaning the kids off of the bottle once they hit a year (this was on her own initiative, not my suggestion), so I certainly think it's reasonable to eliminate bottles at 18 months. (They did continue with EBM in a cup for a while though - but eventually lost interest in the EBM.) And I was not happy when I had to go back to pumping once a day when my little one was 16 months (we went on vacation and when we came back I was having too many issues with plugged ducts not to resume pumping for a little while), so I really can't imagine pumping 2 or 3 times a day at the 18 monty mark. But I think it comes down to how much of a fight it will be with your mom to get rid of the bottle (or maintain it at the current level) and whether it's worth it for you to fight that fight, vs. pumping. But if it helps to say, "Other moms stop pumping at a year and their babies get weaned off the bottle..." by all means feel free to quote me!

I usually pump and take her all of what I pump in a jar and she splits it a she needs it during the day. I think you may be right sonogirl about my pump output, I tried to pump 2 times a few weeks ago and still got the same output between the 2 sessions. She has been amazing at handling my breastfed babies seeing that she never breastfed. I know that she does try other methods to soothe, and I know that she has had days where he takes no bottle because she keeps him busy. It may just be that the teething is making everything a little harder this week (I even struggled with him this weekend from wanting to nurse all day long). She is pretty good about respecting my desires with the kids, too, but this one issue has been difficult. She is just stuck on him "needing" the bottle still and not wanting to wean him until he is ready. I honestly thing some of the issue is that she feels guilty for cold turkey weaning my sister from a bottle all those years ago and is tryingt o "right her wrongs" with my little one. Make sense?

I actually said that to her today bfwmomof3 - and her response was what I would say to myself lol - "just because other moms do it doesn't make it right for you." Honestly, I know she uses the bottle as a tool just as nursing is a tool for me. The difference is that nursing is pretty simple and only requires lifting my shirt, not taking time from work and carting milk and watching the clock, etc. SPeaking of... I need to go get my flanges now..lol time to pump!
    Our family blog
    And my own blog

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*5ofus View Post
    "just because other moms do it doesn't make it right for you."
    So true! We each have to figure out our own way. I definitely think it must be harder to take care of an infant or a toddler without the magic nursing tool! One of many reasons that I cannot fathom NOT breastfeeding. It sounds like she is overall really respectful of your breastfeeding relationship which is wonderful. Hopefully him wanting the bottle more is a short-lived phase...

I agree bfwmomof3, I know that being able to nurse is a saving grace for me. I try to go over at lunch when I am able and nurse and she always says he is a changed baby when I leave. We will get through this... and hopefully he will give it up on his own before long.
    Our family blog
    And my own blog

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*5ofus View Post
    I try to go over at lunch when I am able and nurse and she always says he is a changed baby when I leave.

Awww... a little mama's love and some milk go a long way!