Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newborn spits up during the day and NOT night

Default Re: Newborn spits up during the day and NOT night

I could have written this post! My DS who is almost 12 weeks have gone through the exact same thing you are describing. I also have fast letdowns. Even though your LO is managing the flow he must be gulping a lot of air. You would be able to hear him gulp it. When you burp him some milk comes back up with the trapped air. When my fast letdowns got fixed LO was burping normally with minimal spit ups. Sadly, fast letdown is back for me & so is his gas & spit ups.

My LO also spit up clear or clumpy cottage cheese looking normally 2-3 hours after the feed & this has gone down considerably in last 2-3 weeks.

My suggestion is to burp him 3-4 mins into nursing when the fast letdown has passed and again when he is done at the breast. My DS required about 5-10 burps. And I wait for about 5-10 mins before putting him back on another side.

I also held DS upright for 30 mins after feed which means no diaper change also. If you are going to change his diaper after 30 mins try not to push his legs into his tummy, I sway his legs side by side & change him. And just like your LO mine slept fine in the night & I think it is since the night sleep is different from day sleep. Also they normally fall asleep or suck it gently during the night feed & this helps them gulp less air & hence minimal or no spit ups.

Because he constantly needed burps or will spit up, he too was not napping in the crib at all. He would wake up 5-10 mins after putting him in the crib. So I held him in my arms most of his naps. Every once a while I would go out of his room with him in arms to eat. He was used to his dark room & sound machine & would wake up sometimes outside his room. If your LO is ok with light/noise then I would suggest to wear him in sling/baby carrier.

I also started nursing him in his dark room where he would be drowsy & will suck gently. I noticed that when he was sleeping while nursing during the day he didn't spit up though he needs burps.

Things do improve with time though. His day time sleep improved with age & he started sleeping in his crib. Of course, I still have to go pick him up to burp him in the middle of his naps multiple times, but he naps in his crib if he doesn't need more burps. I still hold him for part of his nap/s as my fast letdown is back again

I also found that eliminating dairy from my diet helped with his spit up.

Lastly, I visited his Ped to rule out GERD. My LO was never fussy at the breast or arched his back or acted fussy during the day except in the evening which is fussy time for many babies. But I wanted to make sure it is not GERD.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

ooops
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; April 11th, 2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: double post

I am very very sorry if my post was confusing. Here is what I was trying to say-Spit up is normal. Baby being somewhat gassy is normal. Baby giving a cry 10 minutes or so after feeding due to needing to burp is entirely normal. If the only thing that seems wrong is that baby is spitting up and has some gas pain, there is absolutely nothing wrong. No need to change anything. I thought you were wondering why baby might be more spitty at certain times of day and I was giving examples of why that might happen. Basically, I was musing. Again, I do not think there is any reason to change anything you are doing as far as feeding goes,. assuming baby is gaining normally and all else is well.

I am not sure if the advice you got about burping was general or specific. But I am aware this is often given as general advice and it is incorrect. Of course, some baby's do want to be burped right after nursing or even during a nursing session. As in the case of pp, if mom has forceful letdown, and baby is having the more extreme discomfort and very copious spit ups that may occur witg that, this more active burping often can help. On the other hand, it is not always needed even in that case. I have had three children, forceful letdown with all three, and only one required the careful burping routine, and only for a few months.

But my point was, generally speaking, It is not crucial to actively burp a breastfed baby. This is left-over advice from the world of very specifically scheduled, very uniform in amount bottle feedings. Those babies (and I was one) were fed so infrequently they had lots of air in their tums, then were fed a huge amount of formula very quickly on top of that air. result, huge spitups that make baby cry because formula coming back up can burn, (breastmilk is usually painless) and a real or perceived loss of expensive formula. Non of this applies with the typical breastfed baby who is allowed to eat whenever baby wishes as much as baby wishes. That said, if you think burping your baby is helping in the case of your particular baby, burp away. But if baby is burped so much, it may increase the amount a baby will spit up. So it's a trade off. I agree with pp about holding baby after nursing. holding baby snuggled to you for a while after feedings, as long as you like, with baby upright (head above tum) may more gently bring up burps or, at the very least, allow you to immediately deal with a gas bubble rather than running to baby. I know it is scary when they give that sharp painful cry!

Ahh, so good to hear that I am not alone (sorry). Thank you for your response. I will try burping him after 3-4 min/shortly after letdown.

Typically night feedings are calmer and with less distraction, so it is very possible that is why he spits up more during the day. I already tried something different today, and so far it seems to be working. I kept him elevated a little more then usual, avoided any unnecessary handling/positioning changes, kept his spine straight (as oppose to cupping his bottom), did not pat on back but waited for burp to come out naturally (and they did), after feeding put him over my shoulder to rest and let food settle. I kept him upright for at least 30 minutes. I did this before, but that did not help, because I guess I didn't some other things mentioned above.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that all of your advices will help and I could if not eliminate spit up, keep it at bay. Thank you!

lllmeg, no need to apologize. I was in despair. I had a rough week with my 6 week old newborn. He was a handful this week. I suppose for many reasons, including what appears to be a growth spurt.

I appreciate your advice- it is extremely helpful. I did not know that burping came from formula feeding culture. Interestingly, my mother never burped my sister and me, so when she saw me patting my baby on back, she was shocked. She actually thought it was cruel (and I did exactly how a nurse in a hospital showed us). LOL

What you said made so much sense now. I fed him in upright position, I minimized any handling afterward. I simply put him over my shoulder in upright position and burp came on its own. I used to tap away for 2-5 minutes at a time desperately waiting on a burp. And now baby went to sleep soundly with no spit up and fuss.

All things you mentioned seemed like a lot at once, but at the end it all made sense, because it got me thinking and trying new things. Thank you once again!

You are very welcome and I will tell you how I first discovered for myself that it is not always necessary to "actively" burp a baby. I really pounded away on my oldest because that is what I thought I should do. My husband, who has many younger siblings and remembered them being nursed by his mom, thought I was cracked. But I was determined to get those burps up! Finally it just got too tiring and eventually I figured out it made little difference, at least with that baby. For the most part, no matter what I did, burps came or not if and when they did. his brother was different, of course, throwing me off just when I thought I had it all figured out!

you are doing great. always remember that you are the expert on your baby. I suggest, treat all advice as suggestions you can try or not as you like, and/or adjust as needed, rather than rules. There is no one size fits all to mothering.

Actually, I used to burp him day and night. Maybe in one my earlier posts I misspoke and made everyone believe that I did not burp him at night. In that case, my question would have had an obvious answer, but it wasn't the case. I attempted to burp him every time I fed him, day and night.

Nevertheless, I am still not sure if my baby had/has reflux or his stomach may not be entirely up to speed, but I began following some steps that the article below for GERD babies suggests:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...bmar03p12.html

Also, I ended up taking some of your, ladies, advice. I am no longer actively burping him. He actually passes them on his own. Sometimes while feeding and still on breast. LOL The key for me was not to just keep him elevated, but to sit him up. I attempted Australian hold a few times as well, but it is a bit tricky since his entire weight goes on breast and I just think it is not too comfortable for him to suck. Sometimes, I am too tired to wait 30 min after the feeding keeping him upright, and when I put him down it does not cause spit-up either.

For 2nd day, there is almost no spit up. If there is, it is certainly minimal- probably tablespoon at most. I don't mind that, considering that spit ups before where simply scary- up to an ounce in one sitting, or more. I am not exaggerating.

Nevertheless, I am absolutely grateful to all of your contribution. I appreciate it. Thank you, ladies.

That's great! If you find that the spit-up returns- and it often does when a baby starts squirming in new ways or rolling over- please don't let it phase you. In an otherwise healthy and growing baby, it's a laundry problem, not a health problem. And the amounts are usually less than they look like. A good way to prove this to yourself is to measure out an oz or 2 of cow's milk and then dump it on your counter. Most people say that the milk looks like more on the counter than it did in the bottle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

Also that spit up is normal!!! When a baby is otherwise healthy, happy, gaining weight, and not in pain when spitting up, it's a laundry problem, not a health problem.
    LOL! Love that! So true. Spit up sometimes reassures me when I'm not sure he is getting enough...which is silly because he is a chunky monkey!
    Mama to Sebastian Born 2/13/14