Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newborn spits up during the day and NOT night

Default Newborn spits up during the day and NOT night

I have a dilemma. My 6 week old son is spitting what seems to be nearly all of his feeding during the day. He does not cry or fuss about the spit up. The spit up is sometimes clear as if he had a bubble that was in his tummy and it prevented freshly expressed milk to settle. Also, in other occurrences the spit up has clumping, and appears like cottage cheese. This usually comes up with or without a burp.

The whole situation is extremely frustrating, and I am not sure if I should wait out for him to spit up whatever he intends to, and after that offer to feed again.

And to add to the puzzle, he does not spit up at night?! He is actually a perfect baby at night. He nurses for about half an hour, I burp him and he is off to sleep. The burp clothes are not wet, he is not fussy, and there is no laundry mess awaiting for me at the following night feeds or at his first morning feed.

Please help me figure out what am I doing wrong during the day?

Thank you ahead of time!

Default Re: Newborn spits up during the day and NOT night

Are you nursing in a different position during the night? Maybe more reclined than during the day?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm not sure about why your baby only spits up by day but I see a similar thing with my baby who doesn't frequently spit up but when he does, it's always by day. At night I don't even burp him and he's fine. By day he makes tons of burps and sometimes spits up. I wonder why! And I use the same position for nursing.

I try to burp him at night, but I do not always get a burp, so I just let it be. I wonder if perhaps my burping technique, which I use mostly during the day may be at fault. I read somewhere (I believe Kellymom.com) that patting on back may cause some spit-ups. Do you pat your baby on back? If not, how do you burp him?
    Last edited by @llli*ik25feb; April 11th, 2014 at 09:29 AM.

I always use the same position and recline.

I do patting on the back. I sit my baby up on my lap, use my right hand to hold his waist, and the left hand to tap his back. I think babies will spit up if they have too much inside their stomachs, no matter which position/method you use for burping. Because I've seen my baby spit up even if I didn't burp him - when he burped himself! This can be when he's lying on the floor, in the car seat, in the crib etc.

Are you burping baby as a matter of course during the day, or only when baby shows signs of discomfort? Generally speaking, burping after breastfeeding is often not needed. Techniques vary and are very individual. With my daughter I never burped her after feedings. Sometimes shortly after a feeding (within 30 minutes) she would give a cry and just picking her up and putting her on my shoulder (or moving her from my lap up and putting her to my shoulder) brought up the burp with no other effort.

I also want to reassure you that spitting up is normal and not an indication anything at all is wrong. Yes, even lots of spit up. Spitting up more at certain times of day could indicate many things but none of them necessarily require correction. Milk production varies at different times of day, so some feedings may simply be larger, and baby deals with 'too much' milk by getting rid of it the way nature designed for him to. Other possible causes that come to mind are longer stretches between feedings, baby switching sides more at one feeding than another (triggering multiple letdowns) , baby not switching sides at a feeding so one side goes longer between sessions (and thus has more milk and forceful letdown) positioning differences, baby nursing lots and lots for comfort and thus taking in a bit more milk, etc. Again, none of these things are wrong or necessarily require correction, certainly not if the only 'problem' is spit up. Without knowing more about what is specifically going on that is worrying you, I would only say that spit up is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Are you burping baby as a matter of course during the day, or only when baby shows signs of discomfort? Generally speaking, burping after breastfeeding is often not needed.
    I never bothered to burp my kids.

Also that spit up is normal!!! When a baby is otherwise healthy, happy, gaining weight, and not in pain when spitting up, it's a laundry problem, not a health problem.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Momal and lllmeg, thank you for your input. What if an innocent spit up is GERD/acid reflux? How can I tell?

lllmeg, I burp a baby before, during, and after feeding as I was told that it is crucial to get trapped air out. I am assuming it can help rather than hurt. If I stop, I will end up running to him, because he will be crying in discomfort in 10 min after putting him down.

I am actually more confused now. How do I feed the baby now?
    During the day, I do not let more than 3 hours to pass, at night there are longer breaks- typically he will wake me every 4 hours. Lately, I have been offering breast every 1-2 hours because I assumed that he is going through his 6 week growth spurt. Also, I always offer one breast at a time to make sure he drains each one. I do have a fast let down, but only at the very beginning of the feeding. He seems to manage it well, because he does not unlatch during letdowns. I am so confused and very frustrated. He constantly spits up- today, seems to be worse than ever. He has not napped for more than 30 min at a time. He constantly wakes and cries.

This link from kellymom.com goes over the symptoms of GERD/reflux: http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/reflux/

If burping helps, by all means keep doing it. I think LLLMeg is thinking that over-burping could be contributing to the spit-ups, since you're not burping baby at night and that's when there's no spit-up issue. Have you tried wearing baby upright in a sling? That can be great for spit-up and reflux (if that's part of the mix), since gravity helps tummy contents down where they belong.

At this point, I would encourage you to simply follow your baby's cues. If he seems hungry, feed him. I think that's all that is going to be required- that and patience. Your baby is still so very young- things should get better if you can just slog through this rough patch!