Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: WE DID IT! 1 year of exclusive breast milk

Default WE DID IT! 1 year of exclusive breast milk

That's right! We did it!! One full year. Starting in 7-10 days my twin girls will start regular milk. I can't even believe that I managed to feed them breast milk exclusively.
    Now I need to figure out how to pump wean. I currently pump 4 times a day. Is it best to keep that schedule and just pump a little to relieve pressure or try to drop a pump or two?
    All advice is appreciated!

Default Re: WE DID IT! 1 year of exclusive breast milk

I have no advice on pump weaning, but just wanted to say congrats on nursing TWINS for a full year! What an achievement!

FANTASTIC!!!

I think you have the right idea about pump weaning. Drop a session, pump or hand express for comfort, and when you're ready, drop another session. The only caveat I have is about timing. I think you might want to wait a few weeks before you start dropping sessions. Your babies will be a year old and they'll be ready to have cow's milk, but that doesn't mean they will like it or drink it. Continuing to pump past the 1 year mark might be your insurance policy as they get used to cow's milk.

If they hate cow's milk, remember that cheese and yogurt are excellent sources of dairy and can be used in place of milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you! I have a freezer stash so we an insurance policy and I'm ahead on daily milk as well but I'm giving myself 2-3 weeks to pump wean once I start...

That's really AWESOME mama! Congratulations!

Here's how I did pump weaning: I started with the last session of the day (when I was pumping the least milk), gradually cut back how much I pumped on that session, then cut the session out and spread out the other sessions so they were evenly spread out over the day. Then repeat.

Congratulations!!! Happy birthday to your babies, too. I would consider cutting down how long you pump at a session, too.. 12 min vs 15...
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Thank you to everyone for your advice. Essentially I have both cut back on sessions and time I pump and it seems to be working. This week marks the first week I've slept through the night without pumping in a year. One night I leaked, but last night, nothing and while I was 'full ish' this morning, I wasn't in pain. I pumped for 5 minutes just to relieve a bit of pressure and am hoping to be weaned in a few more days. This sleeping at night thing - it's pretty awesome.

Glad your pump weaning is going well! And yeah, sleep is nice.