Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Strange distracted behavior by 11 week old

Default Strange distracted behavior by 11 week old

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me with this new issue I am facing. My son is 11 weeks old & is EBF. From past 3-5 days he is being very strange nursing wise during the day. When he wakes up from his naps he will eat for 5-7 mins. I nurse him in my room which is nice & bright. After first few mins I burp him real well, now he will not latch at this point though I know he is hungry. I try to burp more & try after few mins, still won't take it. At this point I let him play until it is his nap time. I try one more time to see if he is hungry but won't take it. At this point I do my nap routine & take him to his room which is when he starts fussing. If I offer him he will happily take it & finish one side or until he drifts off to sleep. If I don't offer him, he will fuss for 3-5 mins & sleep on my shoulder. sometimes he will wake up 45 mins later hungry, so I am guessing he was still hungry & sometimes he will nurse for less than 2 mins & fall asleep which means he is using me as a paci.

I have tried different things like blanket or nursing him only in his room which is dark & he often falls asleep & doesn't finish his feed. Recently he will also refuse in his room which will lead me to believe that he is done & when I do the nap routine he will start showing signs of hunger!

I have a 4 year old to take care of as well & nursing session often lasts 1+ hours with his new behavior. Any insight, advice is greatly appreciated!!!
    Thank you!

Default Re: Strange distracted behavior by 11 week old

Did your baby's feeding pattern suddenly change? Maybe he went from fewer, longer feedings to more frequent and shorter ones? For an 11 week-old baby, a 5-7 minute feeding can easily be a full feeding. What would happen if, instead of trying to get him to eat more after one of these fast feedings, you just put him down or (preferably) tucked him into a sling?

It's entirely normal for babies to hate hate HATE being left alone in their crib for naps, and to wake very soon after being put down. Babies don't know that they live in modern times, in nice, safe environments. As far as babies know, we still live in caveman times, and their instincts tell them that being out down and left alone means an increased chance of freezing or starving or ending up as sabretooth tiger food. This is why it's often preferable to keep the baby with you for naps- either lie down with him or tuck him in a sling- or sub in a swing or stroller for your physical presence. A lot of babies will accept motion from a swing or stroller as a substitute for mom.

Please don't worry about being "used as a paci". That is a normal and healthy behavior and there is nothing wrong with it. Remember, the breast is the original pacifier! Ergonomic shape, all-natural organic materials.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I guess I am missing something, because this sounds entirely normal to me? Of course your baby wants to nurse at nap time (babies love to nurse to sleep) and nurse for comfort (nursing is very comforting) and nurse for however long he wants when he wants. Just like everyone else a baby is hungry when they are hungry and this will typically be irregular, sleepy when they are sleepy (also irregular) and want to eat the amount they want at that moment and not more. If a few minutes later they realize they did not get enough, or they wish to be comforted or helped to go to sleep with nursing, they will want to nurse again.
    As mommal says, if this represents a very different pattern than what baby was doing before, that is also very normal at this age. Babies needs change periodically and that often coincides with a difference in nursing. As far as how to juggle other responsibilities, this is an ongoing issue with multiple kids! I think what you can do for that depends on what you are needing to do, your 4 years olds personality, etc.

Thank you ladies! That makes me feel better that it is indeed a normal behavior. Honestly, I don't remember if it was a sudden change. The only issue with LO 'snacking' is that I just managed to fix my overactive letdown with your help & when he doesn't finish one side it comes right back & it's a vicious cycle from there on.
    As far feeding anytime when he is hungry is concerned I am all for it. If he needs to eat he needs to it, period. It leaves me a little anxious when I go to pick up DD or start cooking. It gets almost impossible to cook if he is going to eat at such short intervals sometimes & I need to figure out a way to cook/clean etc.
    Sling is something I have considered in the past & am still thinking.
    What I have noticed today is that even with no fast reflex he requires a lot of burps & will not eat until all comes out. He is also very hard to burp so it is a challenge.
    I am going to not fret about how much he ate & take it as a normal behavior & go with the flow. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*fshah View Post
    It gets almost impossible to cook if he is going to eat at such short intervals sometimes & I need to figure out a way to cook/clean etc.
    Any chance your partner can help out with these tasks? My daughter was one of those constantly latched, super super super frequent feeders, and the biggest and best solution we had for that was to have her dad do most of the chores when he got home from work. We did that while I was on my maternity leave AND when I went back to work--it just always seemed to be the best way to "get things done" in our household.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Do you have a sling or wrap? Baby-wearing allows you to take care of certain chores without having to put baby down. You can throw in a load of laundry, wipe down countertops, take your older kid outside to play, chop vegetables... If you're really an ace, you might be able to nurse your LO in the sling.

I found that the best way to coordinate baby care and household chores was to do 1 major task per day (e.g. sweeping, mopping, cleaning toilets, changing sheets). Cooking was done in steps. In the morning, I would choose what I wanted to make for dinner. Then I'd take advantage of a nap to do all the prep- I'd chop the veggies or meat and put it in the fridge. I'd portion out the rice or pasta. I'd fill a pot with water. That way all I had to do was throw the pre-prepped items into the pot when it was almost dinner.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sonogirl, DH already helps out a lot so I don't know if I can ask him
    more. Yesterday LO ate at about 3+ hrs schedule during the day which is what he normally does.
    Mommal: I have a baby carrier which I am yet to use but will now need to start using. I dunno about nursing in sling, I would really have to be a pro to do it

I love your idea of preparing for dinner in chunks! I never thought of that! Thank you. I clean as much as I can & leave the rest though it is hard sometimes since I like things clean he is back on his original schedule of eating 3-3.5 hours so I can finish up a few things while he is napping.

Thank you ladies!

I am learning to do everything in 10-20 minute chunks - as that is about how long my LO will sit content in her bouncy chair or swing. I keep her where she can see me and sing or talk to her while i prepare meals, fold laundry, etc. I do what i can wearing her in a carrier but for me it is easier to use my hands if I can set her down. I'm doing a lot more crock-pot meals lately, so I don't have to worry about something burning while I nurse her. And recruiting DH's help when he isn't sleeping (he works nights).