Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 weeks, nipple fissure still not healed

Default 6 weeks, nipple fissure still not healed

I struggled with latch for the first couple of weeks due to my large flat nipples and my son's high arched palate. His latch is now totally comfortable but I've got a huge fissure in my left nipple that developed in the second week of nursing. He's 6 weeks now. I've tried mothers love and APNO ointment, hydrogel pads, air drying, breastmilk, pumping on that side to give it a break, and cleaning with a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution. Nothing works. Even the pump reopens the crack every time. I am allergic to lanolin so that's out. This crack is huge and terribly painful. Any ideas on how to heal it? I've already been to an LC multiple times. My nipples are not otherwise red, flaky or cracking, though the inside of the fissure is of course red and sometimes bleeds.

Default Re: 6 weeks, nipple fissure still not healed

Yeouch sorry, that sounds painful.

Catherine Watson Genna suggests that moms who gently bathe injured nipples with soap and water find them healing more quickly. You can find the article on her website, it is called "nipple hygiene"

Breastfeeding answers made simple writes about research on about staph infection of the nipple, (not classic mastitis) that seems to respond most quickly to oral antibiotics. Apparently the nipple itself can be cultured to see if this is going on.

I assume your IBCLC ruled out thrush? Also that you have read the kellymom article on healing injured nipples? Something she suggests I have not seen much elsewhere is bathing nipple in salt water.

I assume the Lc ruled out tongue and lip ties?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I assume the Lc ruled out tongue and lip ties?
    Yes, she ruled out those things. I've tried Epsom soaking too. I've not been cultured, but she did not believe it was infected.

I suggest you ask her to read to you the section on bacterial infections of the nipple in Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple. This is a basic breastfeeding text so I assume she has it. I have the 2010 edition ( I do not know if there are others) and the info on the study about nipple bacterial infections is on page 651. If it sounds like you, then it might be worth pursuing. The study found that 64% of mothers who had "moderate to severe pain along with nipple cracks, fissures, ulcers, and/or visible pus had staphylococcus aureus bacterial infections in their nipples." It goes on to detail another study (related? not sure) that showed that in such cases, most improved best with oral antibiotics, although for some, topical treatments were effective as well.