Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reduced supply on one side

Default Reduced supply on one side

Lately when I pump, I get hardly any milk from my left breast. They've always been fairly even, or maybe one produced slightly more, but not like this. For example, the last time I pumped I got 3 oz from the right and .5 oz from the left. My son is 15 months old. Is this normal? I'm a little worried, I don't want my supply to dry up.
    working mom to Pete, born 12/26/12. My little Christmas gift.

Default Re: Reduced supply on one side

Your LO is 15 months old- by this time I bet he's eating a lot of solids and nursing more recreationally than he used to. Am I right? If so, the change in his nursing habits could explain the change in the amount of milk you can get when you pump. Maybe he's primarily nursing on the right, taking just a few sips from the left, and thereby allowing production on the left to dwindle.

If you're nursing on demand when you're with your baby, I see no reason to worry that you'll dry up. Your baby will keep you In production mode as long as he wants milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Reduced supply on one side

Thanks so much, you always have great advice and make me feel better. Yes, he's eating more solids (although it varies day by day) and doesn't nurse nearly as much (between 3-5 times a day depending if he's teething or not). I do know that he seems to prefer the right, so I think you're right- he probably only takes a few sips from the left. I nurse him on demand when I'm home and at night (we co-sleep) so I'm sure he'll keep me in production. Thanks!
    working mom to Pete, born 12/26/12. My little Christmas gift.