Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: milk supply help

Default milk supply help

Hello, I have a question about upping my right breasts milk supply. With my left one I usually get around 3 oz unless I'm engorged through the night then I get 5 and I only get between .5 oz and 1 oz from my right boob. I think the production has gone down over the past few months because i used to get a solid 1 oz to 1.5oz from it. My Dr prescribed me a generic brand of reglan (sp?) milk supply helper but I'm not sure it's doing anything. Is there a way to get it to produce more? I feed her first on that boob and during her naps I try to get her to fall asleep on that one since she'll continue to suck from it the whole nap. She is 3 mo old.

Default Re: milk supply help

Hi lanie. Are you concerned about milk production over all? At this point, is baby exclusively fed your milk and doing well? Are you pumping due to being back at work or for some other reason?

Typically, milk production cannot be measured accurately with pump output, which can be affected by a number of things. But it is certainly normal for one breast to produce more than the other overall, or to have more storage capacity than the other, and either would explain a differential when pumping.

That said, the way to increase milk production is to remove milk from the breasts frequently. If you are trying to up production in one side, that would mean do what it sounds like you are already doing, which is, encourage baby to nurse (And if you are pumping, pump) more often on that side. Also, If baby is going a long enough period overnight without nursing that you feel engorged or very full, that fullness is signaling to your body to make less milk. So nursing more at night might help as well.

Hi meg,
    My baby is exclusively fed my breast milk. I am only concerned with the production of my right breast. I'm a stay at home mom and I used to pump to store but my little one doesn't like taking bottles so given I have 23 bags of stored milk and no where to go with them I stopped pumping to store. I'll only pump when my breasts are engorged and she is asleep. She usually wakes to feed at least once through the night about 5 or 6 hours in but last night she slept 11 hours straight and I woke up with a super engorged left breast so i pumped. We don't go many places that would require us to give a bottle and its near impossible to get her to feed when she is deep asleep.

Since you're a SAHM, I'm curious why your doc thinks you should have Reglan. Are you nursing on demand, or on a schedule?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Does your baby finish the right side quickly and or do you hear less sucking there? Otherwise, it may be a pump issue - try reversing the right and left sides and see if it makes a difference.

My left boob was producing less and looked smaller than my right boob so I did what you did and always started on the left side. Now they're pretty much the same in size and producing almost identical amounts. However, I noticed that baby prefers the right side because the milk comes out differently from there than on the left side and I guess he likes that method so he'll stay more on the right side, hence its greater production.

But why would it bother you if your baby is getting enough anyway? Unless you have a cosmetic issue like I had

yikes! I am not surprised you woke up engorged after 11 hours! imo it is smart to avoid engorgement. If baby won't nurse, then I think it makes sense to pump or hand express in that situation. There is nothing wrong with pumping to have a stash or for any other reason, if you want to. I was just curious why. I also do wonder why the reglan, assuming that was due to breastfeeding concerns and not some other issue? Regaln is a galactagogue and will increase production on both sides, and if you have normal milk production already, would make engorgement more likely.

It sounds as if you make plenty of milk and baby is doing well, gain wise, am I right? so as pp suggests, If you want to even out the sides, yes it certainly makes sense to encourage baby to 'pay more attention' one way or another, to the less producing side. Also, the difference between the breasts often lessens over time anyway as milk production 'evens out' and, eventually, as production reduces overall when baby starts eating lots of solid foods. But again, it is normal for one side to produce more, or be a bit larger while lactating, no matter what you do.

Mommal, what is sahm? My pediatrician suggested the reglan due to my concern of my right boob. I do try to put her on my right side more but it is still smaller in size compared to my left. She usually spends about the same amount of time on the right side ad she dis the left but every time I pump I get so much less from my right side. I usually don't get engorged much anymore unless she goes quite a while without eating at night.

SAHM = stay at home mom. When you're home with baby and nursing on demand, then it's unlikely that your supply would need help from drugs or pumping or anything. You can pretty much rely on the baby to maintain it- unless the baby is having some sort of problem nursing?

If the baby is not nursing well or is having trouble gaining weight, then I guess I could get behind the Reglan scrip. But if the concern is merely lopsidedness, that's more of a breastfeeding management issue than a supply issue per se. Offering the lower-producing breast more often, offering it first at feedings- that should be enough to boost production on that side.

Am I missing something? It sounds like you have plenty of milk and you don't mention any issues with nursing...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have issues with nursing. Specially with my right breast. She fusses on it more than I think she should. Like tonight I gave it to her first and she would put it in her mouth, do a couple quick Sucks, then remove herself from it to talk or stare at a light. She wouldn't eat off it at all even with it not being nursed from in hours, probably close to 5 hours. So I had to put her on the left breast. Which she fussed a little on but eventually ate from it. And she no longer opens wide for the nipple, even when I stuff the nipple in her mouth with the squeeze technique she pushes it out then Sucks it back in herself. It appears that not much of the areola is in her mouth and nothing I do changes it. I do find myself giving her the left breast first on occasion due to it making more and I have to remind myself to give the right one first, but it hasn't helped its production at all doing it first. I have tried it for the last month.
    I do nurse on demand and I nurse her to sleep for naps and bedtime.

Does nursing hurt you on either side (or both)? Also, Is baby gaining appropriately?

I understand the issue with the breasts being lopsided has been going on for some time, but unless baby is not gaining well, it is normal. As far as latch and how much of the nipple/areola baby will take in, and how baby prefers to latch, that is going to vary baby to baby. As long as nursing is comfortable for mom, it is not a problem. If nursing hurts, then that is a problem.

If you think the reglan is helping, no reason to stop taking it, although Reglan does have some side effects that you are probably aware of so there is that to consider. But since your issue is the one side, again, reglan and any other galactagogue is going to affect BOTH sides, assuming it is working. So while it may boost production, it may not do much for the lopsidedness? I guess if that side is truly underproducing, then it might.

Have you tried or considered pumping on the right side between feedings? Or pumping that side at night during baby's longer sleep stretch? I truly know of no other way to increase milk production on one side only except by removing milk from that side more often than the other. But I would be very interested to hear other moms experiences with this.

For fussiness on that side, maybe a different position? breast compressions?

I guess what I want to assure you is that, assuming baby is gaining normally and nursing does not hurt, this does not sound as if anything is in any way seriously wrong. It's a problem for you, and so, certainly important. But nothing you are describing is all that unusual. Many babies prefer one side. Many babies fuss when nursing. Nursing in general changes quite a bit at around this age, both in baby's behavior at the breast, nursing frequency, nursing duration, and even weight gain rate all change, sometimes dramatically around 3 months. Also, how the breasts feel certainly changes, and many moms feel 'empty' or as if they do not make enough milk at this stage. Kellymom.com has an excellent article that touches on these changes, the beginning of the general low production article.