Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 days old, few questions.

Default 3 days old, few questions.

My DS is 3 days old today, my milk has officially started coming in as well as the wonderful process of engorgement. Things have been going well I think so far but he is constantly wanting to feed. When he is not sleeping he wants to be at the breast, which I'm okay with because I just want to be successful this time and I want to avoid the seriously painful engorgement I had with my daughter.

One of the issues I have is that he will latch on great, nurse away for 5-10 minutes but fall asleep at the breast. He still sucks and I can tell he is swallowing even though it can be pretty lazily. I'm pretty sure he is getting enough because he's had at least 5 wet diapers today and 3 poopy diapers. He seems to eat once every hour, when he is not having a good sleeping stretch.

Another thing I have noticed is that milk seems to be "flowing" easier from my right breast. Nursing is also much more comfortable for me on that side as well. When he is feeding from my left breast, my right one leaks, but when he is feeding from my right breast my left one does not. I've tried to hand express from the left breast and not much comes out compared to my right. I'm worried there may be some sort of issue there, but I realize that since it's the first day of my milk coming in a lot of regulating needs to happen so I'm just wondering if it's normal.

Lastly, I'm concerned about the whole "foremilk/hindmilk" thing. If DS does not nurse for very long how can I be sure he will be getting the good fatty milk he needs. I'm not sure if a 10 minute nurse will be long enough to get to the hindmilk.

I know it is still very new to both of us, but I just want to make sure I am doing all I can to give my baby the best.

Default Re: 3 days old, few questions.

It's excellent that your baby wants to feed frequently. First of all, it's normal for him- remember, his tummy is still very, very tiny! Second, it's great for engorgement- you want the baby to keep the milk flowing through the breast rather than letting it build up for long periods.

If the engorgement is troubling you or making latching difficult for the baby, here are some useful links:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/ http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...oft_cotterman/

Don't worry too much about how long the baby feeds for. First, frequency of feedings is generally more important for intake than the length of the feedings- you want a newborn to be nursing around 10-12 times per day, or even more frequently. Your baby must be nursing at least that often, since you say he's nursing every hour. Second, feeding duration varies widely even at the earliest ages, with some babies nursing for just 5-10 minutes and others needing closer to an hour to get their needs met. Third, as long as your baby is having adequate diaper output, he's getting enough to eat, regardless of how long or how short the feedings are.

It's fine to let your baby nurse in his sleep. Again, remember that he is tiny and his tummy is tiny- a few swallows here and there while he is sleeping might add up to quite a lot of milk. Some things to try to keep him alert at the breast:
    - Keep the lights dim. New babies often close their eyes in response to bright light.
    - Keep him cool. When it's time to nurse, strip him down to a single light layer, and consider keeping a fan blowing in the room where you nurse (just not directly on the baby!)
    - Annoy him. If he's falling asleep at the breast, it's okay to encourage a little extra wakefulness by tickling the soles of his feet or rubbing agains the grain of his hair, using your hand or even a cool damp washcloth.
    - Do breast compressions to speed milk flow to the baby.

It's entirely normal to have differences in supply, flow speed, and leaking between breasts. We're not perfectly symmetrical beings, after all! Again, what matters for a young baby is feeding frequency and diaper output, and it sounds like you're doing great on both. But I am curious what you mean about nursing being "more comfortable" on one side- what discomfort are you having on the other side? Let's see if we can fix that!

Finally, pleased not be concerned about the whole foremilk/hindmilk thing. All your milk contains everything a baby needs to grow and develop- all the fat, all the carbohydrates, all the protein. When it comes to weight gain, quantity of milk matters much, much more than quality (i.e. foremilk vs. hindmilk). A baby will grow well- sometimes exceedingly well!- on a diet of the so-called foremilk alone, provided he gets enough of it. The worst thing that is likely to happen, if a baby consumes a lot of foremilk, is that he might be a little extra gassy. Not a big deal, since babies are gassy no matter what!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

[QUOTE=@llli*brittyynicole;1333873

Lastly, I'm concerned about the whole "foremilk/hindmilk" thing. If DS does not nurse for very long how can I be sure he will be getting the good fatty milk he needs. I'm not sure if a 10 minute nurse will be long enough to get to the hindmilk.

[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to say (as a former oversupply mom...that lasted like 6+ months), that even if your baby was drinking loads of less fatty milk, it could still be plenty of calories. It sure was for my baby, and she had feedings that lasted only between 3-5 minutes. For many, many, many months. So, she was getting blasted with volume so even though it probably wasn't very "fatty", it was plenty. She was only ever nursed until after 6 months. She was a huge baby, 90th percentile for weight until she was over 1 year old.

Anyway, I would definitely not go by the clock. It won't tell you anything, really. Especially in my case it did not. Just go by how your baby seems. Hungry? Try feeding. If baby is happy then baby is probably just not hungry.
    and Mama to two little girls

I agree with pp. I just wanted to mention that I leak on one side and not the other and the one I leak on is the LESS producing side. My point is, there are many many variations when it comes to these things as mommal says. Also, it was the side I could not leak on (or hand express or even pump on) that I got bad engorgement on. But remember these things do not necc. mean baby is unable to extract milk! Baby knows how to extract milk better than you (or a pump) in most cases.

It actually sounds to me as if you and baby are doing great for 3 days! Things can get 'interesting' as milk production starts becoming more abundant, and that is when engorgement typically becomes a concern. So please let us know if any other issues pop up.

Things seem to be going very well. When we left the hospital on Friday DS weighed in at 8 pounds and 14 ounces, today he was 9 pounds 4 ounces .. I'm not sure if that is a great number but in my mind I felt like a champion knowing that my baby was actually nursing well and had gained weight. He has been incredibly sleepy today so he hasn't been nursing as much as the past couple days so I can feel the fullness coming back on.

Which leads me to another question. When I nurse I usually alternate breasts after feedings, can this lead to a lower milk supply somehow? I've just been trying to like even out the fullness of my breasts so there isn't one uncomfortably full and painful and the other not. Is this a bad thing?

That IS a great number! Many babies lose weight the first several days. I am not sure if the 8 14 is birth weight or lowest known weight, but either way, that is excellent gain. The only thing I can say about it is it indicates you are possibly an abundant milk producer, which of course is great but does have it's downside.

Which leads me to another question. When I nurse I usually alternate breasts after feedings, can this lead to a lower milk supply somehow? I've just been trying to like even out the fullness of my breasts so there isn't one uncomfortably full and painful and the other not. Is this a bad thing?
    Do you mean baby takes one side per feeding and you switch to the other side at the next feeding? That is perfectly fine. I think going by 'feel' and by baby's cues is leading you on the right path. Sometimes mothers are told to switch sides DURING every feeding, but this is not needed unless mom has low production (it can also help sometimes if baby is very sleepy, although sleepy at this stage is also quite normal.)
    Typically it is just fine to let baby 'finish' on one side, and switch only if baby indicates baby wishes to, or you feel it is needed based on your breast fullness. This means some babies will typically nurse one side each time, some both, and some, some combination. All variations are fine assuming baby is gaining appropriately and mom's breasts are not getting overfull. Another way to avoid overfullness is to nurse as often as baby will, and to hand express (or pump, just enough to get some comfort, if needed) if baby won't nurse when needed. Some moms also find they can massage milk out in the bath or shower, etc. The point is, to keep the milk flowing, not sitting in the breasts too long and causing discomfort.

It sounds to me as if you are responding to both your baby's cues and your own body's cues. This is also called instinct and it rarely leads you wrong! I think you are doing great.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; April 7th, 2014 at 11:57 PM.