Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk supply went down, can I get it back up?

Default Milk supply went down, can I get it back up?

I never really had a problem with my milk supply until now. I had a cold in December and my milk supply went down a little. Before I got sick I could pump a minimum of 4 oz each pumping session. after that cold it went down to about 3oz. While I had the cold I only took Tylenol. Just recently in Jan I had tonsillitis my doctor put my on Amoxicillin. After the tonsillitis I was getting about 2oz. I know that they say pumping is not a good way of measuring how much milk your producing but my daughter isn't full after feedings like she used to be. She has been Drinking from the breast more than I am pumping but still doesn't seem satisfied. When I pump sometimes I can only get 3oz, most of the time it is about 2oz. It makes me so sad to see that she isnt getting enough milk because I wanted her to be breastfed at least up to one year and I know that she loves her breast milk. She prefers it over formula and she can tell the difference. Is there any way that can I get my milk supply back up to what it used to be? Has anyone else had this problem?

Default Re: Milk supply went down, can I get it back up?

Here's a link with good tips for increasing supply. I am curious as to how old your lo is? How many times a day does she nurse? How often and what size are the bottles? http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/

Are you pumping while apart from baby (for example at work), or in addition to nursing her? How much formula are you giving and how often? Is the amount of formula you are giving increasing? If you are giving more formula over time, that means baby is getting less at the breast and stimulating your supply less. How are you judging that your daughter isn't full after feedings?

Here's another link about weaning from formula supplements:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/

How old is your LO? Have you taken any supplements or anything at all to increase your supply?

@llli*bfwmomof3 can I ask u a question?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Are you pumping while apart from baby (for example at work), or in addition to nursing her? How much formula are you giving and how often? Is the amount of formula you are giving increasing? If you are giving more formula over time, that means baby is getting less at the breast and stimulating your supply less. How are you judging that your daughter isn't full after feedings?

I thought maybe you can help me. I'm afraid my milk is drying up. My baby is not gaining much weight, he's just about the same weight as he was when we went to the doctor for his 4th month shots. He will be six months on the 18th. I've been drinking a lot of fluids and eating a lot. I'm also nursing him as much as I can but he's still small. Also, I'm not leaking as much as before, not even when I'm feeding him. I still feel mild cramping in my abdomen and tingling sensation on the other breast when I'm feeding him though. But my breast are always soft and I can't even fill a 4 oz bottle. I want to feed him until he's two years old, what can I do to revive my milk? This is starting to get really frustrating for me.

P.S. I don't pump anymore. I stopped it months ago. I was doing hand expression but stopped as well because my baby is always eating. I pretty much forgot about doing that because my baby refuse or take the breastmilk if it is from the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post

I thought maybe you can help me. I'm afraid my milk is drying up. My baby is not gaining much weight, he's just about the same weight as he was when we went to the doctor for his 4th month shots. He will be six months on the 18th. I've been drinking a lot of fluids and eating a lot. I'm also nursing him as much as I can but he's still small. Also, I'm not leaking as much as before, not even when I'm feeding him. I still feel mild cramping in my abdomen and tingling sensation on the other breast when I'm feeding him though. But my breast are always soft and I can't even fill a 4 oz bottle. I want to feed him until he's two years old, what can I do to revive my milk? This is starting to get really frustrating for me.

P.S. I don't pump anymore. I stopped it months ago. I was doing hand expression but stopped as well because my baby is always eating. I pretty much forgot about doing that because my baby refuse to take the breastmilk if it is from the bottle.

Hi mama, I just read your other thread. I agree with mommal that it sounds like the issue may be the different scales/weighing technique rather than your milk "drying up." Leaking, breasts feeling soft, and not being able to fill a 4 oz bottle is all normal when you are exclusively nursing a 6 month old baby. Also normal for breastfed babies to gain weight quickly in the beginning and then start to plateau later. Especially if mom has oversupply early on. If you were filling 4 oz bottles early on while exclusively breastfeeding at the same time that may have been the case. I have oversupply and my babies grew very rapidly in the early months - so they were in the 90th percentile at 2 months. But they were not destined to be so big (they are now 50th, 10th, and 50th percentile for weight), which meant that they had to drop in the percentile curves as they got older, which started happening just at the point you are now - the 6 month mark. If you are worried about weight gain, the best thing you can do is to nurse frequently, offer frequently (baby will not over-nurse), including at night, and don't supplement with formula, which CAN lead to milk drying up due to baby nursing less. In the absence of something hormonal like birth control or pregnancy or a very severe illness/famine-type situation, it's very unlikely that a mother who has nursed her baby just fine for 4 months would lose supply at 6 months. I suppose the other possibility would be that there is something causing baby to have failure to thrive - but again it is not clear at this point that there actually is a problem with weight gain.

Thanks for responding!
    I will quit worrying now. I guess I'll just work on trying to increase my fluid intake.

It's fine to drink to thirst, you don't have to drink water beyond that.