Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing and Ovulation

Default Nursing and Ovulation

I have a 12 month old who's nursing. Are there any specific ways I can enhance my fertility to get my periods back. I'd like to get my period and ovulation back so that I can pregnant soon. But I really don't want to stop nursing. I've just started nightweaning. Is there anything else I can do?

Default Re: Nursing and Ovulation

Welcome to the forum!

The average nursing mom gets her period back at around 15.5 months postpartum. Of course, some moms find that their cycles return sooner than that, and some get them back later- but the average is still 15.5 months. So you are early to be worrying about your cycle.

If you are absolutely determined to get your fertility back sooner, and you don't want to wait for nature to take her course, then cutting out nursing sessions is what you want to do. Night-weaning is an excellent place to start, because once you are consistently going >6 hours without nursing, your prolactin levels will fall low enough and your estrogen levels will rise high enough that ovulation becomes very likely.

Give your body some time!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"