Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Blood in Stool

Default Help! Blood in Stool

About 8 weeks ago I saw blood in 2 of my DD's diapers. The first one was dark red while the second was bright red. But that was it no more. I brought it up to our pediatrician and she kind of freaked out. She told me to watch for another and if there was to bring it in so they could test it to make sure it really was blood. Well today she had another one. Dark red again. Not a lot. Maybe 8-10 specks throughout. She is 22 weeks and is EBF. Haven't started and solids. Usually has yellow seedy diapers and generally goes once a day. She hadn't went a whole lot in a few days and yesterday had several larger bowel movements and a couple more today. This one has been the only one with dark specks in it. What do you think? Should I be as concerned as the pediatrician? I went dairy free for about 4 weeks when DD was about 6-8 weeks old. But we found out that it was actually reflux and we didn't notice a whole lot of change being dairy free. Sorry I'm rambling. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Help! Blood in Stool

As long as we're talking flecks or small streaks of blood, and not large blobs of it, and the baby is otherwise happy, healthy, and growing, I see no reason to worry. Small streaks or specks can come from any of the following causes:
    - an anal fissure (common with babies who have been constipated or who have been straining to poop- unlikely to be an issue with exclusively breastfed babies)
    - gastrointestinal illness (e.g. minor tummy bug)
    - oversupply- when mom has a lot of milk, the baby gets a lot of lactose (milk sugar), and large quantities of lactose can cause intestinal irritation
    - allergies or intolerance to something in mom's diet- if this is the problem, a dietary elimination might help, but these can be extremely hard on mom and are usually not necessary when the baby is happy, healthy, and growing.

Doctors react to bloody poops very differently. Overreaction seems to be pretty common- we've had moms here who have been advised to go on total elimination diets or stop breastfeeding due to minor bloody poop issues. I was lucky- when my DD2 produced a nasty blood-streaked poop during her well-baby checkup, the pediatrician took a look and said " Eh, garden-variety proctitis. Peaks around 3-5 months. Eliminate dairy if you want, but she's clearly healthy so this is not a big deal."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I almost don't want to tell the pediatrician bc I don't want to do anything radical unless it continues to be a problem. Just needed some reassurance! It's only been tiny flecks. And she's been gaining wonderfully and happy (except for the nights I work and she's home with my husband...) I did have some problems with oversupply but thought that was regulated. Could have been that.

with mommal. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Or at least nothing that would require running to the doc right away. There's a lot to be said for mother's intuition. If you feel your happy healthy baby is fine, she's probably fine.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

If you're scared to tell the pediatrician because your mother's intuition is saying that you don't trust her reactions, it might be time to find a different doctor.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"