Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 mos pumping solids and milk consumption

Default 10 mos pumping solids and milk consumption

Please help! I pump at work which is basically a ten hour stretch and nurse at home. We do two to three small meals per day of various fruits and veges. We started solids at seven months due to food sensitivities and gerd. I have been on a no allergen diet for nine months basically. I want to continue to bf as long as possible esp for night nursies so I do not want to do anything to jeopardize that.

However I am a single mom and pumping sucks. I have struggled to pump since I came back to work. I pump four times for at least twenty minutes and get an extra two oz per day usually with the hospital rental. I am starting a new job in two weeks and cant keep spending so much time pumping. He will be eleven months at that point. I want to go down to just pumping on way to work and at lunch.

Advice and suggestions please. My baby eats frequent small bottles usually only three oz. I have no idea what he gets from th boob when we are together. I know the last day care bottle is right before I pick him up currently so am wondering if that can be eliminated? I dont have a clue what im doingand the more I read the more lost I feel.

Cow milk is not going to be an option.

Please give me a reasonable timeline for eliminating pumping sessions. I have not tried to go down to three sessions so im not sure how that would affect how much I get. I am ready to quit the pump but dont want tocompromise full term bf.

Default Re: 10 mos pumping solids and milk consumption

To add I need to be able to take care of me and do well at my new job. I dont see how I will be able to feed me etc with my constant hunger on my breaks and pump and be fully there for work with as much as pumping takes time wise and I feel like it splits my focus too much. I like giving my baby bm but I need a reprieve. Can I reasonably at one year drop the pumping and still be able to nurse at night? I don't want to dry up completely.

So how many oz does your baby get at work? And how often does he nurse when he's with you?

With a baby who is less than a year old, you want to be a bit cautious about phasing out pumping. Some babies this age are already eating lots of solids, some are still mostly breastfed. If you have a baby who isn't yet ready to be getting most of his calories from solids, you need to keep sending milk to daycare, or formula if breastmilk isn't an option and baby is <1 year old.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He eats four three oz bottles while im gone. I have been trying to be better about nursing before we leave now and today he didnt get the last bottle at daycare. He sometimes only gets the three bottles depending on nap timing etc. Idk how to quantify nursing when he is with me. Hes on and off a lot all evening and night. Hes super distractable and learning to walk but i lay on the bed to offer a lot and that helps.

Definitely see whether he can consistently do without the last bottle at daycare. In general it doesn't sound like baby is being overfed, which is good. You mention pumping 2 oz extra? How much frozen milk do you have?

Often moms who work outside the home can start the pumping weaning process at about a year. Dairy intolerance does make it a bit harder because you can't substitute cow's milk for breastmilk at a year. In that case baby has to be at the point where he is eating solids well during the day; he can drink water with meals during the day. Toddlers who are nursing 3-5 times in 24 hours don't need additional dairy, so if you're nursing that much evenings/nights/mornings, and baby is eating solids during the day, then you can do without expressed breast milk (or cow's milk) during the day. If you have frozen milk, then you can use that as you're going through the pump weaning process. In general though, as with any weaning you want to wean from the pump slowly - so you might want to avoid abruptly going from 4 pumps to just 2.

It's wonderful that you've been breastfeeding and pumping for your baby for 10 months, and you're so close to that one year point! Do you think once you start the new job you can do three pumping sessions for the last month - on the way to work, lunch, and one more - with an eye towards going down to two at a year? If at that point baby is doing well with solids and continuing to nurse well at home, you can pretty quickly get rid of your additional pumping sessions. If he's not yet that enthusiastic about solids during the day, you still have expressed breastmilk to work with at that point.

I replied to your other thread but to answer this specific question, yes, you can absolutely pump wean at around a year and continue to nurse, especially if you continue to encourage nursing when you are together. I was done with pumping at a year and am still happily nursing my two-year-old!

Thank you for both replies! I so want to continue to nurse well into toddlerhood so it wihld would be devastating to me if weaningfrom ppump compromised that. Thank you for the encouragement.

We will keep trying to see if he no longer needs fourth bottle. He doesnt eat a lot of solids but he does enjoy feeding himself. He seems to eat more with my mom than with me. Im still a little confused as to what portion size equates to a meal but have just been offering post milk. Usually eats a small pile if steamed veges or about two oz of baby food and puffs and the occasional insides of a prune.

I do have about 200 oz in the freezer. I want him to get as much bm as possible for health reasons. I plan to still pump 3 times at work as long as it does not affect my new job productivity.

It sounds like you are in great shape, actually. In terms of what portion size is a meal - under the age of one solids are really for learning new tastes, textures, and the motor skills to self-feed. So your goal right now is just for him to learn to like solids and how to feed himself, which it sounds like he's doing. And you'll be surprised how much things can change from one month to the next. He may very well increase the amount he's eating over the next few months. After the age of one, in my experience how much a toddler eats can vary a lot from meal to meal and day to day. Sometimes my kids will barely touch a meal, then they'll eat way more with the next meal. I think the key is just to offer a good variety and not worry about how much they are eating each meal.

That's great that you have 200 oz in the freezer - that will be a nice cushion for you as you start the pump weaning process. My LO continued to have EBM from the freezer for a few months after I pump weaned. Then she lost interest in it (which is pretty common) but continued to want to nurse.

Thanks for the response! This is great info and very helpful. I wondered if he would change his interest and hunger level over the next couple months. I wish I had discovered these forums sooner! We have had challenges with food sensitivity and lip and tongue ties and strikes. Amazing how challenging and emotional nursing can be! Such a valuable gift for babe.