Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frozen milk from 4 months ago?

Default Frozen milk from 4 months ago?

Is it ok to give LO frozen milk from 4 months ago, in lansinoh bag, in separate compartment freezer? I think the recommendation is 3, but does it actually go bad after that and will make her sick? Or just not give as many nutrients?

Default Re: Frozen milk from 4 months ago?

As far as I know, milk is considered "good" in a separate compartment freezer for up to 6 months, so you should be just fine.

That said, you'll know if the milk is bad. Just give it a sniff.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Thanks!! I also have excess lipase, so it definitely won't smell great no matter what. But my baby will drink pretty much anything you put near her mouth, and I've decided that I have no problem offering her lipase milk if she'll drink it, rather than throw it all away. If it's spoiled, will it smell different than the soapy lipase-ness?

Baby won't drink it if it's spoiled. 4 months should be fine. And the lipase issue is not harmful to baby, some babies just don't like the smell/taste - but definitely fine to offer it! Are you recycling your stash? One way to do it is to offer baby fresh milk Tues-Friday, freeze on Friday, and then use milk from the stash on Monday. If you have more of an older stash built up, you could do milk from the stash Monday and tuesday, fresh Wed-Friday.

Yes. Spoiled milk will smell spoiled. Bad. Assuming your freezer works and there has been no power outage, it is unlikely the milk has spoiled. Even if there has been some inadvertent defrosting and refreezing, that would more likely cause ice crystals which breaks down the fats rather than spoilage. Think about ice cream that has been left way too long in a freezer, it may not taste fresh or its texture may not be so nice, but it is not spoiled by bacterial growth.

The suggestion for length of time to safely freeze milk in a separate freezer compartment is 3-6 months, and that is conservative. The differential is due to considering different climates and other variables. https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000...toringmilk.pdf

Thanks ladies. No power outages or anything, just the lipase issue. I am very glad to hear that I can use my whole stash!!