Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation for interested 16 month old while pregnant.

Default Relactation for interested 16 month old while pregnant.

I nursed my son until he was 7 months old. He had a tongue tie and a lip tie that caused latch issues but they were corrected but we were told by his dr that it might be too late. I nursed almost exclusively until he was 5 months old and started supplementing until he "self weaned" at 7 months. He has a little friend the same age as he is who still nurses for a majority of his food supply. He is now 16 months old and I am 25 weeks pregnant and have thought a lot about relactating, mostly because he seems SUPER interested again. He tries to latch on when we are in the bath but acts supper silly with it. I just tried pumping just to see where we were at and I got some clear sticky liquid, just enough to coat my areole basically. I am wondering if it is too late for us, if it is safe to try when pregnant, and if he will learn to relatch. It would only be occasional nursing like 1-2 tines a day since he LOVES food so I'm hoping to hear if you ladies think it is worth it and any suggestions you may have. Thanks in advance!!

Default Re: Relactation for interested 16 month old while pregnant.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the baby to come!

I think that it's great that your toddler wants to nurse. I would probably let him, even if he acts silly. The practice might be all he needs to transition him to tandem nursing when your milk comes in after your new baby is born. Just be careful- if you feel a real increase in contractions when your toddler is nursing, or you have a history of miscarriage or preterm labor, it might be best to limit nursing or not nurse at all.

The reason I think you should keep it casual and silly is that relactation during pregnancy is probably not possible and is probably not a healthy choice for your current baby. First, hormones produced by the placenta govern milk supply during pregnancy, and there's no amount of pumping you could do that would bring back your milk production when those hormones are inhibiting it. Some moms maintain supply during pregnancy, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Second, pumping is definitely not something you want to do while pregnant. It can set off strong uterine contractions and can actually be used to induce labor, and that is not what you want at 25 weeks.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree that attempting to relactate while pregnant is probably not a great idea, but fine to let your toddler nurse now with the precautions mommal mentions. In a few months when your new baby comes, there will be lots of milk and many toddlers do decide they want to nurse again when they see baby getting all that good stuff! Also, if your toddler does not figure out nursing again or you prefer not to tandem nurse, some moms pump milk to give to their weaned toddlers after new baby comes.

Thanks for the advise mommas! I have had one miscarriage so I won't even try pumping., I do have some clear fluid "leak" if I squeeze, but nothing more really. He is getting more and more interested, but I'm scared to let him try to seriously latch on as he tried a few times but latched with his teeth :/

The clear fluid is almost surely colostrum, the first milk produced by the breast. It's super healthy stuff, and it's great for your older child to drink it if you can stand to allow him to try, what with the soreness and teeth and all! You might want to try telling him things like "Use a gentle mouth. No teeth." Even if he's not yet all that verbal, the message may sink in.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"