Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Boycotting Bottles!

Default Baby Boycotting Bottles!

Hi there! I'm writing in hopes to get some advise on how to end my 8 month old son's strike on bottles. He is a breastfed baby but was introduced to bottles of pumped breast milk when he was 2 months old in anticipation of my return to work. He has never taken a bottle enthusiastically, but did well enough with some encouragement. However, over the past several weeks, it has been increasingly difficult to get him to accept the bottle. The past two nights, he hasn't drank any milk while I am at work. I am a nurse and when I work, it is 14 hours that I am away from him and I worry that he will get dehydrated. We have bought more bottles than I can list, but he won't even let us get the nipple near him. He gets quite upset and pushes the bottle away. We have also tried sippy cups, but just as with the bottles, he pushes them away when they get close to his face. His dad has tried holding him in different positions and even wearing my shirts, but baby wants nothing to do with it. Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Unfortunately, there is no way that I can nurse him on my breaks, so we need to figure something out! I feel like a terrible mother because he is suffering and I don't know how to help him.

Default Re: Baby Boycotting Bottles!

How often is he nursing when with you? Is he still having enough wet/soiled diapers? Does he eat solids or drink water with dad at all? I am wondering if at 8 months 14 hours might be ok for him to go without a bottle, especially if he is making up for it by nursing more when with you.

He nurses frequently, every three hours or so, both during the day and through the night (we co-sleep). When I work in three day stretches, I do notice a decline in wet diapers. He does eat a small amount of baby food, but no other fluids. He gets so upset, he really seems to be hungry, and will just scream. I'm just not sure what to do when he won't even take the bottle in his mouth. Of course, Dad knows to offer the bottle at the first signs of hunger, and has even offered it to baby an hour before he should be hungry, but to no avail.

Would he take it with a spoon? Maybe half frozen like a slushie?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avesnovuelan View Post
    Would he take it with a spoon? Maybe half frozen like a slushie?
    Just what I was thinking. You could even make yogurt out of it.

Have you checked your EBM for taste issues?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"