Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Chomp!

Default Chomp!

Hello,
    My DS is 7 1/2 mo old. He now has 6 teeth. All is moving right along with EBF however lately when he latches on its more of a 'chomp' and those teeth are hurting. I realize this is probably very normal but I'm trying to avoid any type of actual injury that would hurt bf. I'm trying to hold his face and gently lead him in for the latch and also making sure he is calm before latching but let's face it sometimes he just wants to eat and is very determined. Any comments or suggestions on the whole biting issue? Thanks!

Default Re: Chomp!

Is it biting by accident or intentional? it sounds like more by accident? Yes sometimes babies bite intentionally but not to hurt, but rather to experiment and get a reaction. I think how to approach the problem depends a bit on why it is happening.

My first tip is always to look at positioning. As baby gets longer, the 'old' nursing positions can cause the chin to tuck, and this makes it hard for baby to latch comfortably even if this is what baby wants. This article has lots of ideas for biting and inadvertent teeth rubbing as well. http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/biting/

Default Re: Chomp!

Yes by accident. In fact I don't think he's used to the teeth and probably doesn't know any better yet (inadvertent as you mentioned). The piece of the article that talked about positioning and latching helped out so thank you for sending!