Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Don't want to give up

Default Don't want to give up

This is my first post so here goes....

My beautiful little girl is almost 7 mo and we've had trouble the entire time. To start she had a shallow latch we were never able to correct so we had to use a shield indefinitely. At 2 mo she started having trouble eating, she screams all through feedings. We put her on reflux meds then I took out dairy, changed her reflux meds, took out wheat soy nuts fish, changed her reflux meds again. None of it worked and through out all this I had issues with supply and let down as well.

Recently we started her on a special (and very expensive) prescription formula and we stopped giving her all solids. She does seem to be doing better the past few days. In the meantime I've been pumping to keep up my supply in hopes that she may be able to breastfeed again but my pump broke! I glued it back together but it just broke again and with my let down issue manual pump doesn't do much.

It's so stressful I don't know if I can keep this up but I'm having a really hard time letting go. I feel like we've faced every challenge you can face when breastfeeding and we've pushed through it. I know if I continue there is a very real possibility I will end up with a freezer full of milk and a baby that can't have it so I don't know why this is so difficult for me. The thought of giving up just makes me want to cry.

Default Re: Don't want to give up

Welcome to the forum! I'm so sorry nursing has been such a challenge for you and your baby. Can you tell us more about what has been going on with her? It would help to know if she's had issues with weight gain, and if so, what her weight history has been. Also, how has nursing felt- have you had pain? And how is pumping going- are you getting sufficient milk with the glued-together manual?

She has had issues with weight gain. She started out very small at 6 lbs 1 oz and all my kids are very small so we tried not to worry about it. Her 6 mo check up a few weeks ago she barely hit 12 lbs and we were starting to get concerned. We had a few weeks of eating solids and adding rice cereal to breast milk in a bottle and she looks like she gained a good amount in that time. I've never had pain or anything nursing other than in the beginning when she had a very shallow latch. The medela in style electric pump is the one that broke so I'm using a manual one and I can only get 1 oz and it take 30 min or so.

Was she ever checked for a tongue or lip tie? And did she gain more when she was given solids?

Yes she was checked for tongue tie, no issues there. I'm fairly confident that the issue with shallow latch is related to reflux/pain. When I nurse her she is completely stiff and pushing her body back away from me. She did gain weight on solids but we had to stop giving her solids for now until we can get her to a place where she finally seems comfortable with eating and not in pain. I just don't know if it's worth the hassle of pumping when she may have to be on this formula permanently.

Sorry to keep answering your questions with more questions, but what is your doc's rationale for formula rather than breastmilk? If the suspect for the low weight gain is reflux, then it seems like you could use breastmilk for her rather than formula. If the suspect is allergies, then using formula for a period of time might- might!- make sense. And have you tried supplementing her in addition to nursing?