Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Extra small nipples = pumping hell! So frustrated!!!!!

Default Re: Extra small nipples = pumping hell! So frustrated!!!!!

Stress, lack of sleep and dehydration could all be playing a role here. I am in grad school and my classes started again this week on top of working full time. I drink water all day at work but usually forget when I get home .

I should clarify though that I think she is still getting plenty of milk when she nurses. She wets and soils her diapers plenty and I can hear her swallowing a lot while nursing. I think I might stop swaddling her at night and see if I can't trick her into reverse-cycling. I can always sleep when she goes to college...

You'll be able to sleep when your daughter is in college? Surrounded by frat boys?

No I understand baby is getting enough when nursing. I phrased that wrong. you are definitely not the first mom who needed 'help' making enough when pumping.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avesnovuelan View Post
    I feel like if I do that I would be admitting that I am not good enough for my baby.
    Please try not to do this to yourself. We are not designed to pump. We are designed to nurse babies. Which you are doing. Of course many of us do rely on the pump some or all of the time for various reasons. But having difficulty with the pump has nothing to do with you being a good mother.

I like your ideas of the hospital grade rental and I also like the reverse cycling idea. You are pumping 8 or 9 ounces for a 9 or 10 hour separation. That actually may be plenty. I am not suggesting going from 14 ounces to 8 ounces all at once. But if you could gradually work you way down from 14 ounces to closer to the 8 or 9 you are pumping that will ease a lot of pressure for you AND is the key to getting your LO to reverse cycle. Because if she is getting half the milk she needs in the 9 or 10 hours you are apart, then what motivation does she have to nurse a lot when you are together?

It's hard to be working, in school, taking care of a baby, pumping. You're doing great.

I think you are doing awesome, too! I hope the hospital grade rental helps. And honestly, tons of night nursing isn't so bad either...it took me some weeks in the beginning to learn to sleep through a latched all night babe, but it got easier with practice.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Girls-only college? Do those still exist?

Bfwmomof3 - thanks. Of course on some level I know pumping is unnatural. I think that is part of my problem. My body doesn't respond to a cold, mechanical milk removing machine like it does to a warm cuddly baby. And while I know that doesn't make me a bad mom (and neither does working if I am being really honest with myself; we could never pay the mortgage on my husband's salary alone), it is hard feeling like I am not giving my baby everything she needs.

How do you balance reverse cycling and getting enough rest? We co-sleep or she is in an arms-reach cosleeper, but the sleep I get when she is nursing is not nearly as restful as the sleep when she is in the cosleeper. And with daddy working nights if she is awake so am I, even when she isn't eating.

@sonogirl I didn't see your post before mine, but thanks. I imagine if I am tired enough I will sleep through her nursing.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avesnovuelan View Post

How do you balance reverse cycling and getting enough rest? We co-sleep or she is in an arms-reach cosleeper, but the sleep I get when she is nursing is not nearly as restful as the sleep when she is in the cosleeper. And with daddy working nights if she is awake so am I, even when she isn't eating.
    The nursing at night was always hard for me too. Going to bed early, naps on the weekends, and remembering that it doesn't go on forever helped. Also, I would remind myself that if I wasn't nursing, I'd be up in the middle of the night in the kitchen fixing a bottle which seemed even worse! And I also would tell myself that the nighttime nursing was good for my supply. What didn't help was worrying about how much sleep I was or was not getting. Turning my clock against the wall was helpful advice I read about here and continue to use. Hopefully you'll learn how to sleep through the nursing as sonogirl mentions!

Definitely, definitely the no clock checking, no counting wakings thing! Every single time I would slip and check a clock, my sleep went right out the window. I also had to "learn" to go to sleep early, too. It's funny, I am pretty sure I sleep trained *myself* over this last year and a half...
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post
    I am pretty sure I sleep trained *myself* over this last year and a half...
    Too funny. So true!