Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Extra small nipples = pumping hell! So frustrated!!!!!

Default Re: Extra small nipples = pumping hell! So frustrated!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Have you looked into Pumpin Pals flanges to see if they might help?

Also, have you tried adding hand expressing to your pumping routine to see if that helps? I assume breast compressions would just make it even harder to keep the nipple centered.

Have you considered if the issue is less the flanges and more something wrong with the pump? Is this a new pump? What setting do you pump on? I agree with xiaoshira about less suction sometimes being better. I have seen it several times that pumping at too high a setting is counterproductive. Have you ever tried a different pump?
    OMG I so wish they made smaller pumpin pals!!! I loved the texture but they were WAAAY too big. The smallest ones seem even bigger than the standard Medela flanges. It also added insult to injury that I had to buy the two gigantic ones just to get the smallest size which were still too big, haha

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avesnovuelan View Post
    Maybe once my hubby starts getting paid I will try the simple wishes bra.
    I am not going to use my 50% off code so let me know if you want it!

Seriously? That would be awesome.

I sent you a PM

Thanks! Even with the code I think Amazon might be cheaper, depends what the shipping costs are. But I really appreciate it. I will figure this out one way or another!

omg I could have written this. I struggle with the 21 mm flange also. I have to compress, move my nipple closer to the edge, AND I can't use the hands free which I really really need to be able to. I also use the hospital grade pump on the highest suction setting. Bahaha!! Such a joy. Good luck I'm gonna hvae to keep checking this post for tips.

Sorry about the pumpin pals! I wonder why they are so big? Maybe most moms have the opposite problem.

That is what I am finding. Everywhere I look people talk about needing bigger flanges. I always thought my nipples were pretty normal but apparently as far as nursing moms go they are way smaller than average.

I did figure out that the coconut oil I was using before pumping was working against me by causing the flanges to slide, so since quitting that I have had a couple better days. I am looking forward to trying the 19s once they arrive though.

So an update - my pumping output has seriously slipped. In the 9-10 hours I am away R eats 12-14 ounces and I pump 8 or 9. That is 4 pumping sessions, with breast massage and hand expressing every last drop after I am done pumping. I tried a friend's pump to see if maybe mine is malfunctioning with no better success. I am down to about 10 extra ounces in the freezer and that won't last another week at this rate. I have today and tomorrow off and plan to pump several times while at home each day, and in the middle of the night. I am taking fenugreek twice/day and drinking mother's milk tea. I have been eating so much oatmeal that I literally can hardly stomach any more but I will keep trying. I messaged my midwife yesterday and she is going to have the LC she works with see about getting me a hospital-grade rental. Any other ideas? I feel like I am working so hard for every drop of milk and it isn't enough. I have a friend with a big surplus in her freezer and she has offered to give me some, but I feel like if I do that I would be admitting that I am not good enough for my baby. I will feel twice as bad if I end up giving formula but I am afraid that is where this is headed.

If the issue is low milk production, what about other herbs, or a blend? I heard from an IBCLC recently that she suggests shatavari when fenugreek is not doing the job. Other folks suggest something along with the fenugreek- I forget what. Blessed thistle maybe? Goats rue? The book Making More Milk has a large section on galactagogues.

This is simplistic, but are you keeping well hydrated? Not OVER hydrated, that won't help, but being even slightly dehydrated can hurt milk production.