Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump Supply down after pumping for a year

Default Pump Supply down after pumping for a year

Hi all,

My LO is 15 months now and I have been pumping since I returned to work when he was 4 months. I had no issues in the beginning, getting more than enough pumped milk to meet his needs- average pumped amount would be 12-14 ounces a day, he would only take 8-9 oz while away. I have a surplus of frozen milk- not TONS as we rotate through it, but plenty to meet any pumping shortcomings.

Since he was about 12 months, my pumped supply has gone way down, more "normal" I guess, in that I get about 1-3 oz per pumped session. This leaves me with about 7-8 oz average, but I have had more and more days of getting the lower end of the range, which leaves me about 4 oz, and he is still taking 8 oz while I am at work. I have changed out all of my pump parts, my pump seems to be in good working order, I even sized down on my pump flange. I am not dieting, drinking plenty of water. I just got back from being on vacation for 3 weeks where I was nursing full time and going through a growth spurt, today is my first day back at work/pumping, and my pump supply is still low. What am I missing?

TIA!

Default Re: Pump Supply down after pumping for a year

Any chance you could be getting your period back? I got mine back at 15 months and my supply took a massive and sudden (but temporary) nosedive.

Good point. I actually had my period once when LO was about 6 months but it was so short and so light and then it happened again until LO was 11 months and it was the same shortness and light flow. Then I got it full force at 13 months which actually did coincide with the dip in pump supply, then again last month and not yet this month but I'm not due for it yet. I had forgotten about the period being a culprit of decreased supply. Can I do anything about that?

I forgot to mention I pump 3 times while being away for 9.5 hours, although I started out pumping 4 times during the same length of time. Going to try to go back to 4 sessions a day.