Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Losing an ounce between pump bottle and feed bottle

Default Losing an ounce between pump bottle and feed bottle

I'm somehow magically losing an ounce of milk between what I pump and what ends up in the bottle to feed my baby. Is this common?

I pump into Medela bottles at work, which I then pour into bags at home, and mark the ounces that were measured on the Medela bottles. The caregiver is then pouring the bagged milk into a Comotomo bottle to feed to baby.

My mom who watches baby once a week said to me last week "you wrote 6 ounces on your bags, but I only got out 5". I was stumped and we thought maybe the ounceage was different between the bottles. So I double checked this by pouring 4 ounces of water into a medela bottle and then pouring that into the Comotomo bottle - there was no change, they both reported 4 ounces.

But then just this week my caregiver reported the same thing. Am I really losing an entire ounce on the insides of the pump bottles and bags? I really don't want to pump directly into bags as it would end up wasting a lot of bags, since I currently pump 4 times a day (that'd be 8 bags) and I am able to consolidate all of the milk into only 2 bags that go to daycare.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Losing an ounce between pump bottle and feed bottle

I wonder if this is an issue related to aeration. What I mean is, when you pump into a bottle the milk is all frothy, which might make it look like more volume than it is. Once it's settled in the bottle, and the air has gone out of it, it might look like less.

Interesting. I'm measuring the milk at the end of the day when I get home from work. 1 to 2 hours after I've done my last pump. Could that still be a factor?

...Maybe? If you are really curious, I would take the scientific approach. You could try things like pouring some milk into bottles, marking the level, shaking them up, letting them settle for a couple of days, and then seeing if the level changes- use cow's milk so you're not wasting yours, right? Or try pouring some shaken-up cow's milk from a bottle to a bag, which goes into the freezer, and then gets unfrozen and poured back into a bottle...

Is there a reason you then pour your milk into bags if you are not freezing it? or are you freezing your pumped milk at the end of the day? I was pumping into bags in the beginning as well and couldn't get over how much waste i was creating and then it dawned on me that I should just have enough bottles to rotate. So i bought extra medela bottles. I have about ten of them i believe. I pump directly into the bottles and consolidate at the end of each pump. I send 4 bottles to my caretaker and normally get 4 back at the end of the day. This way milk goes from pumped bottle into feeding bottle directly and they don't have to deal with the bags. I only freeze my milk on Fridays and that just goes into my milk stash because i still pump at night during the weekend and i'm able to have enough come Monday morning. My frozen milk only gets used when i get too lazy to pump or when you know life happens. So i don't know if my frozen milk shows a discrepancy, but i figured i could give you an alternate way of storing your milk since you are spending money on the storage bags and they add up quickly.