Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clumsy at positioning still at 3 months

Default Clumsy at positioning still at 3 months

I've had a million ups and downs with nursing my daughter (she just turned 3 months). I've had issues with mastitis, oversupply, cracked nipples, plugged ducts, positioning, latch, tongue tie and now being a working mom....I'm exhausted from it all, but I'm not giving up. Things are getting better and it doesn't hurt to nurse on my left side anymore and she is very eager to nurse...prefers it to bottle. I still have trouble a bit with my OS (that's getting better also) and I just can't get my right breast to heal its cracked nipple. I can get a deep latch on my left but sometimes not on my right. I'm still so very clumsy at my positions, I guess this takes some people longer to master. I could still be sore b/c she doesn't like my right side and doesn't latch properly. I have a separate doctor that specializes in breastfeeding and i'm seeing her tomorrow. But in the mean time...Is this a common issue with some moms? And do some babies just prefer a certain side? I wish I could get this mastered already, sigh.

Default Re: Clumsy at positioning still at 3 months

I wouldn't say this is a really common issue, but I can say from experience that sometimes it takes longer than the proverbial 6 weeks for everything to get better. It took me 4.5 months for my gigantic cracks to heal, and that's longer than just about anybody I have ever heard of.

Honestly, I think that most women who are faced with latch issues that last longer than a few weeks just give up on breastfeeding. It's not like there's a lot of support for breastfeeding even when everything is going well. And when there's an issue, it's all "Why are you torturing yourself? Formula isn't so bad. All my kids drank formula and they're fine!" Maybe if more moms felt driven to persist with nursing, there'd be more moms reporting problems like yours at 3 months.

Just hang in there, okay? I really think you should feel exceptionally proud of yourself for not giving up. And it will get better, I swear! I had these huge, gaping cracks- not to be gross, but it literally looked like 1/4 of my nipple was just eroded away. But the baby grew, and her mouth grew, and one day the cracks started closing up and within a few weeks they were gone.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi and welcome! I hope you post again after seeing the breastfeeding doctor, as I am curious as to what they say.

Generally speaking, while latch pain and breast injury are pretty common, they are not really ever 'normal.' Not at 3 days, 3 weeks or 3 months. Pain and injury are a sign something is 'wrong', usually, with latch. This does not necessarily mean baby does not get enough milk, even with a poor latch some babies get plenty of milk and do fine. But breastfeeding is a partnership. Breastfeeding is meant to be comforting and comfortable for both baby and mom. When it is not, that is a problem.

Latch pain that continues this long, I have to wonder if baby has a tongue or lip tie. The doctor will probably check for this, I imagine. Yes, even if latch is only a problem on one side, a physical issue is a possibility.

As far as positioning goes, yes positioning is very important for a comfortable latch. What positions have you tried lately? Also, comfortable positions change as baby gets older.

Sometimes a nipple will not heal due to a mild topical infection. Do you have the sense that the nipple is getting reinjured by a poor latch, or that it is taking a long time to heal despite a better latch? Catherine Watson Genna has a nice article on nipple hygiene, she advises washing injured nipples with mild soap and water and has seen nipples heal faster with this approach. Some LC's might suggest a topical anti-bacteria ointment or might prescribe All Purpose Nipple Ointment. You can discuss this with your doctor.

She had a tongue tie fixed twice. I even did the stretches. I'm going to feel real bad if the tie grew back again. I don't think I could handle seeing her scream in pain for a 3rd time.

The cradle hold works best on my left side, but the football works better on my right. I tried laid back but she gets annoyed of that position b/c my large breasts smother her. I think my recent problem was a milk blister, I think. I followed kellymom and I think it burst leaving a painful sore. Its starting to heal now, so I'm hoping nursing will get better. I did read somewhere that one position might work on one side and they might like a different one on the other. Which is why I tried the football. It works 'ok' and we are working on getting more comfortable with it. Maybe she is just uneasy b/c she senses my discomfort. There are times she likes to play with my nipple also...causing it to crack back open. Not much I can do about that one lol. I will post again with what the doctor says.

@mommal ty and I by no means intend to give up. Come hell or high water, I'm going to nurse til she is at least 2

I'm with you girl! Although I haven't had the same issues youve had, I've had my share this time around! Keep on keeping on!

Also, I had nipple cracks with both children early on- with my DD, I aired out a lot and used lanolin cream and it took a while to heal with my DS, my lactation consultant said to use a high quality olive oil on the crack and air it out, it heal very easily! Ask your dr for sure but it worked so well for me!