Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump weaning

Default Pump weaning

I am ready to start the pump weaning process. My daughter is 13 months tomorrow. I have been pumping every morning, twice at work, when I get home and sometimes before bed. On the weekends I pump in the morning and sometimes before bed.
    I have two questions/issues
    1. Is pumping when I feel engorged rather than on a schedule a valid way to pump wean? I plan on keeping the morning session for awhile and want to pump once a day at work in the middle of the day. I have the flexibility to pump a second time if I am very full and I can vary day to day. Will this eventually get me off the pump or do I need to use a schedule?
    2. Ellie had a suspected dairy allergy but was scratch tested on Tuesday and it was negative. I am reintroducing dairy to my diet and in about a week if all goes well I will give her some. Is nursing 3x a day and infant oatmeal made with BM plus some yogurt or cheese sufficient or will she need cows milk? She is STTN and I do not think I can get an extra session in there. She is very happy drinking water and my DCP has said that she seems ready to go down to one bottle a day. She takes the second bottle when it is offered but does not ask for it the way she used to.
    Thanks ladies!
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

Default Re: Pump weaning

1. I think you'll have to see - how "strict" a mom needs to be with her pump weaning schedule I'm sure varies from mom to mom. I found that I had to be very disciplined about cutting back on pumping in a systematic way, because I'm very demand-responsive (ie even a little bit of demand is enough to kick my supply up). Other moms are able to follow the approach you're proposing and that works for them. So you'll just have to see what is working for you, but seems reasonable to try that approach and if it's not working, then try to be more systematic.

2. If Ellie tolerates and likes her yogurt and cheese and is taking 1 or 2 servings of it in a day, together with nursing 3 times, that should be plenty of dairy. As you know you only need 3-5 servings/24 hours, maybe closer to 5 in the early part of the second year, but 3 or 4 as baby gets older and is taking a wider variety of solids.

Thanks bfwmomof3. My concern is the opposite. I am not very demand responsive anymore and my supply dips significantly with schedule changes. I am worried about running out of milk but I need to at least cut back on the pumping. Some days it is nice to have some quiet time at work where I am not interrupted but the sound of the pump has become my nemesis :/
    Is there a limit to water. she is a thirsty little thing and drinks a lot. I never say no when she wants her water cup but once we stop BM I am sure it will increase. She drinks about 3-4 oz with each meal and another 4oz at least over the course of the day and that is the minimum.

In that situation I think it's just best to go slow. Cut out one pumping session (I guess the second work pumping session), see what it does to your supply. If your supply is hanging in there, cut out the next session. If you feel like there is a big drop, add the pumping session back in.

You don't want to limit water - thirst is the body's way of making sure the blood concentration of solutes is correct (the kidney participates in that process as well). If you're worried about drinking water resulting in decreased breastmilk intake, when you're together if Ellie is thirsty, offer to nurse before offering water. But when you're not together, drinking water won't limit her nursing later when you are - the control of blood concentration is a minute-to-minute process.

Don't be surprised if it takes a couple to several months to pump wean. I was fearful and cut back slowly. At 15 months I was done hooray! While not working I nurse on demand with no issues and my daughter is 20.5 months.

A few week ago I had a 4 day business trip and I did need to pump. But having been off it almost 5 months I didn't need to during the day or overnight. Yes real work day and real sleep!
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elliemommy View Post
    Thanks bfwmomof3. My concern is the opposite. I am not very demand responsive anymore and my supply dips significantly with schedule changes. I am worried about running out of milk but I need to at least cut back on the pumping.
    Hey, this sounds like me! So, I can just share my experience with the process, if it helps any. My daughter is 16 months old, and I'm actually still pumping once a day (as we speak, in fact!) at work. I dropped my first of four sessions at the year point, and just spread three sessions evenly through the day. I predictably had a dip in supply, and based on the amount of milk my daughter was asking for during the work day, did not feel comfortable dropping another session really quickly. I dropped to two sessions at 14 months, and this was largely driven by the fact that one of my three sessions was literally yielding only drops. I've been once a day pumping at work for the last few weeks now, over my lunch break. Again, I just wasn't yielding much in the second session, but dropping to once a day was actually hard for me, counterintuitive though it may seem--I was extremely uncomfortable in the morning for about a week.

My daughter drinks a ton of water, but does still ask for expressed milk once or twice a day, and my lunch pump is covering that. I feel pretty much completely reintegrated into my work, and this once a day pump is no hardship for me at all. My daughter also nurses around the clock while we're together, so she keeps my supply up to the point that honestly, I can't fathom being able to comfortably drop my lunch pump anytime soon. I'm a low storage capacity mom and there's just not much "fill room" for me, so pretty small amounts of milk feel really uncomfortable, believe it or not!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Thanks sonogirl. That does help. We are going to introduce yogurt and cheese in about 2 weeks. If all goes well with that I am going to try to drop one of my work sessions. I have to keep the am one for now because Ellie only nurses on one side and have to empty the other side. Same for when I get home from work. But I think that dropping one during the day in conjunction with dropping a bottle will work out well.
    Thanks for the help ladies.

For what I know, Pump weaning is normally done to substitute a feeding of baby with a bottle. However, It may sometimes leads to discomfort of a mother. To understand about weaning , you may want to read and check this out.