Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not eating long and baby too sleepy.

Default Not eating long and baby too sleepy.

HELP! I'm desperate for some answers. My daughter (1 week 3 days) is only eating 5-10 minutes TOTAL. (Sometimes more if I'm lucky). It's a struggle to get her to even eat that long as she falls asleep way too quickly. I try everything from getting her down to her diaper, stroking her neck, ticking her, using cold things, exc. Nothing seems to help. I'm worried that she is not getting enough to eat. 5-10 minutes is nothing when they should be eating 10-20 minutes each breast. She does have her 6 wet diapers a day. I'm not sure of her weight though since her next appointment isn't until next week.

Any advice?

THANKS.
    Last edited by @llli*momtograce; March 27th, 2014 at 04:05 PM.

Default Re: Not eating long and baby too sleepy.

Welcome and congratulations on your new baby! First lets see if there is a problem. Short nursing sessions can be normal and fine.

How many times a 24 hour day does baby nurse? (approximately) Does baby prefer to nurse one side at a time or both, or does baby switch back and forth more than once?

Does nursing hurt you or is it uncomfortable? If so, how?

Do you know any of your baby's weight history? Were there any checks aside birth weight? And note if weight checks were on different scales.

Wets alone do not indicate adequate intake. A better indicator is poops, and weight gain accurately measured is the best indicator. How many times a day does baby poop a poop that is at least large enough to scoop up with a teaspoon, and what does the poop look like?