Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 mo hard to latch on except sleepy or really hungry!

Default 4 mo hard to latch on except sleepy or really hungry!

My son and I had an interesting start to our nursing relationship- too much milk and a tongue tie. But things have improved! Now I'm having trouble even getting him to latch and stay for a feeding!!! He will wipe his face across my shirt or the shirt of who ever is holding him as if in search of a nipple- yet I'll immediately bring him to the breast and he seems content not to nurse.

Other times i try I bring him to the breast (because he rarely cues to feed) and he twist and turns to what ever else is going on in the room- he's very distractable! He also is a finger sucker, he finds comfort from his sweet little fingers, not at the breast (like my last child).

He eats extremely well when sleepy and most of the time he does latch on an eats, it ends up putting him to sleep! Could I be offering too frequently? I probably offer once an hour (if he nurses, it's 10 minutes max unless falls asleep). How often should I offer if he never really cues? He generally still feeds 8- 10 times.

I know I may be crazy- but is this normal!? My first child was never distracted during meal time and got down to business! She was like "super nurser" from day one my son is SOOO different! Is this okay developmentally?! He does every thing a 4 mo old should as far as fine and gross motor, he's just so distracted (even though he does the rooting on shirts) that I wondered if this was normal?! So should I just let him watch whatever is going on and just nurse later? His weight and output is excellent- so no worries there!!!

Thanks for any response even if it is "hang in there"

Default Re: 4 mo hard to latch on except sleepy or really hungry!

Hi jtmmh! What does your baby do if you don't try to feed him every hour? Maybe he does need longer between feeds. I would start by giving him an hour and a half between feedings or even 2 hours if he's not fussy. Then if he's still very distractable when nursing, try a quiet room. 4 mth was a really tough time for my DD2, as fussiness, being distracted, and teething was the cause for lots of "not normal" behavior for mine. Keep offering but if he's not interested, try again later. If diaper output and weight is good, then he's getting enough milk!

It is pretty common for nursing to go a bit wonky about this age. In the Womanly Art of Breastfeedjng, the authors call it the 'four month fussies." As pp says, Whether it be the results of distraction, teething, or baby is (sometimes suddenly but still, normally) nursing for much shorter periods and/or less often overall, this is an age that causes concerns for many moms. To top it off, after about 3 month birthday, babies normally start slowing down in weight gain, sometimes pretty dramatically. It all adds up to lots of worry in some cases.

I agree with pp. I don't think you can offer too often, as long as it is truly just an offer, baby is allowed to say 'no!" and you don't worry about it and just offer later. If you are saying baby still nurses at least 8 times a day, I would not worry overmuch about this at all. Nursing is incredibly comforting and DOES put babies to sleep. In healthy, normally gaining babies, this is entirely normal and fine.

Thank you girls! I just let baby play and trusted him to tell me when today and it went well I think I need to trust our bodies! Thanks for the support always!!!!