Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to start pumping when returning to work

Default When to start pumping when returning to work

Hello. I have a question. I have a 9 day old baby I have been breastfeeding. I have to go back to work after 6 weeks. I have read some forums that say it is not good to feed and pump. As of now, my daughter only feeds on one boob per feeding. She eats about every 1.5 to 2 hours during the day. When should I start pumping so that there will be supply when I go back to work?

Default Re: When to start pumping when returning to work

How long will your first workday be? You need 1 to 1.5 oz of milk per hour apart. So you are apart for 9 hours, between 9 and 12 oz of milk, let's say 15 oz if you want a little extra. It's best in the beginning to focus on nursing without dealing with pumping at the same time. Of course it's hard in your case because you have to go back at 6 weeks (I did too, with my two younger ones). So maybe what you can do is when baby is 3 weeks, do a test pump after a morning feeding and see how much you get out. Some moms get very little, especially initially; if that's the case, you might want to start pumping daily at that point, perhaps once in the day, and if after a week you feel you are not going to get to the amount of milk you need, throw in a second pumping session in the day. On the other hand, if you are able to pump 2 or 3 ounces or more when you do that test pump (many moms do have oversupply in the beginning, so that could be the case), then you could delay another week to avoid pumping yourself into an oversupply, and start pumping once a day when you are at the four week mark.