Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suddenly engorged all the time!! WHAT TO DO?? It's soo painful

Default Suddenly engorged all the time!! WHAT TO DO?? It's soo painful

I have had no problems breastfeeding my DS who is 5 weeks old. He eats about 10 to 12 times a day for about 10 to up to 25 minutes a side ( one side per feeding). I have an overactive let down so I know he's getting plenty. He is gaining weight well and peeing and pooping up a storm. I have suddenly become engorged all the time. My breasts feel full, very sore and lumpy. I am breastfeeding just as much as I always have and cannot figure out why I'm all of a sudden engorged. My breast feel soft and empty after each feeding but get sore and full almost instanty. I will pump a little just so my breasts are soft enough for him to latch on but I do not pump on a regular basis if at all normally.
    Any advice on why this could be happening would be well appreciated.

Default Re: Suddenly engorged all the time!! WHAT TO DO?? It's soo painful

I'm moving this thread to oversupply for more replies.

Default Re: Suddenly engorged all the time!! WHAT TO DO?? It's soo painful

Sorry this is short, but I've only got a minute. A couple questions to help us give you better advice ... Have you tried block feeding? Are you pumping before every feeding? I would suggest stopping pumping before feedings and trying block feeding if you aren't doing so already. Here are a couple really helpful pages to deal with oversupply in the mean time:

LLL's Page on Oversupply

Oversupply and Forceful Let Down

A podcast on oversupply/OALD that I've found extremely helpful

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon