Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Update-milk allergy?

Default Update-milk allergy?

Hi all,
    I've posted a few times on my son's slow weight gain. Yesterday I finally met with a certified LC and she was puzzled by our situation as well. Being that my son has literally nothing else going on other than the fact he's in the 2nd percentile for weight. He's happy, healthy, content, meeting milestones, my nipples aren't really ever sore, etc. So everyone is pretty much like, well, you may just have a small baby. She said that she doesn't Believe that my milk supply or his frenulum is the problem either. Which I guess is a good thing but I still wish there was an answer. She did mention that perhaps he's not absorbing all the nutrients from my milk because of dairy in my diet. So she suggested removing dairy all together to see if this may help his absorption. Her clues to this were that his poo is a little stringy, he does spit up curdled milk, and he is pooing a lot for a three month old. I was just wondering if anyone else on here May have had something similar and did it work? Any other thoughts? I'm definitely going to try because I want my LO to gain but some positive encouragement may just help!

Default Re: Update-milk allergy?

We have had moms here whose kids were troubled by allergies. But the symptoms tend to be a lot more severe than just some stringy poop. We're talking things like bloody stools and severe eczema. I don't think a dairy elimination will hurt your baby, and might even help him, but I wouldn't expect it to be a magic bullet, YKWIM?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have one child who's been at 3rd %ile since about 3-4 months old (still is at 7 years)and perfectly healthy. My other child was around 20%ile, but had allergies and metabolic issues severe enough to affect nutrient absorption. If that was happening, I promise you'd know it. Every diaper was nothing but liquid and mucous. He was lethargic, clingy and fussy, you could see his ribs, his eyes looked dull. He not only slowed on his weight gain, he started losing weight. They ran blood tests and found that he was malnourished.

All that to say, the percentile of your baby doesn't really have anything to do with how healthy they are. They can be small and healthy or they can be big and unhealthy. Generally, if they are within the normal range, they are normal and if there hasn't been an unexplained precipitous drop in percentile, then there really is nothing to worry about. Particularly if there aren't any other alarming symptoms.

Like mommal said, if you want to try the dairy elimination, it's not going to hurt anything. But if it has no effect on your baby's weight gain, please don't feel like there must be something else wrong. Because it is still possible there is nothing wrong at all.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I went back and read your other thread. I wanted to add two things-

1. My daughter (the small one) was 25%ile at birth and dropped to 5%ile by 3 mos and has hovered between that and 3rd %ile ever since. That CAN be a normal growth pattern and it was one my doc was never concerned about because she was healthy, growing, and meeting developmental milestones. She has a fast metabolism, eats small meals frequently (same pattern when she was nursing persists now that she is older) and is just a petite girl. This COULD be the case for your son, too.

2. Allergies do tend to show up around 3-4 months old. You mentioned a rash in one of your other threads and bad cradle cap. Can you describe that for me? Is it getting better/worse? Are you treating it?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I would say that as a whole, his group of health care professionals are not really that concerned. We'd all just like to see him fatten up a little bit. My husband and I are not small people. I'm 5'9" and he's 5'11" and we're both athletes, so it's just weird that our son is so tiny. I'm hoping that he'll catch up next month when the curve starts to slow down a little.

Anyway, about the rash- it was pretty bad around weeks 5-8 but improved to nothing by about 10 weeks. The cradle cap has been persistent but weirdly has started to clear a little since yesterday. But it does have it's better days so I'm not relying on one day of no dairy as having cured the cradle cap.

I think the LC's rationale that he's not absorbing all the nutrients comes from the fact that he's getting at least 2oz per feed and eats at least 12x/day and he's still pretty little. Which honestly that does make sense. So it's kind of a mystery honestly.

Oh and yes I'm treating the cradle cap- oil and combing for the most part.