Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newly Pregnant with 2nd child~need to wean 1st?

Question Newly Pregnant with 2nd child~need to wean 1st?

Hello Mommas!

I'm pregnant with our 2nd child & am 7 weeks in!

I have a 15 month old little boy who just loves to nurse for nourishment & comfort, especially for falling asleep & during the night. Because I am pregnant with my 2nd child, should I consider weaning my child, or look into tandem nursing? I really do enjoy nursing my little boy, but lately he has been very needy with nursing and it's been quite exhausting emotionally and physically. If I do continue to nurse him, how do I do so while still taking care of my emotional & physical health & well-being to prepare for baby #2?

Thanks so much

Default Re: Newly Pregnant with 2nd child~need to wean 1st?

Hi mama and congrats! I'm 35 weeks pregnant myself with a nursing 2.5 yo. No, you don't have to wean just because of pregnancy. Some moms do because like you said, it can be very exhausting. Some kids wean on their own due to low supply or taste changes. Others nurse through the pregnancy and beyond. It's a very personal choice. I'd really recommend Adventures in Tandem Nursing by Hillary Flower. There's also a good set of links if you Google Kelly mom breastfeeding and pregnancy.
    I was very committed at the seven week mark to continue nursing. The pain wasn't terribly bad and at least when he was nursing He was sitting down, letting me rest. I was guilty for getting pregnant earlier than planned and so didn't want to limit him yet. I had no supply from 15-21 weeks but we happily nursed through that. This month has seen a lot of limits though. Nursing aversion and painfully sensitive nipples have shown up. It's also been difficult to find positions that don't put too much pressure on my big belly. I'm a cranky pregnant lady this time around so it's been better to tell him no than get angry with him. It's very much worth it to me however I can totally see it not being the right path for everyone. My very supportive husband has been key to making it possible. Good luck to you on your journey!

I second reading Adventures in Tandem Nursing. In my case, I decided I wanted to wean DS. But I never really got around to it, because it was winter and he kept getting sick, and I was exhausted and nursing was a nice calm activity we could do together. My milk dried up around 22 weeks, and DS lost interest at that point. He weaned about a month later. He was 22 months. I think it was best for us. I have a couple of friends who nursed through pregnancy, and they have no regrets either. The thing I liked about the book is that it doesn't try to present a one-size fits all approach. I think it does a great job of presenting the pros and cons so you can decide for your own family.

Tandem Nursing by Hillary Flower is also a good read.

My babies all weaned themselves during a pregnancy. I found it the most natural way for them to wean. The milk changes flavour, and for me, my supply decreases dramatically around 12 to 15 weeks. So, usually my babies wean themselves by the time I am 20 weeks.

Contrary to what some will tell you, it does not harm your baby! I drank smoothies or protein drinks when I felt like I was having trouble keeping up with the nutritional demands, but it wasn't too tough.
    MKR

Mom to 5 and loving it!

DS 2005, DS 2007, DD 2009, DS 2011, DS May 2013 (4lb 14 oz - 37 week IUGR)