Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help me teach my 7 month old to latch

Default Help me teach my 7 month old to latch

I stopped nursing my daughter when she was 5 months old because I was suppose to get a surgery..after being yanked around by docs I have just decided I would much rather have my daughter nurse again. Having troubles getting her to latch!

Default Re: Help me teach my 7 month old to latch

Have you been pumping the past two months? If you still have a supply I would suggest continuing to put her to the breast. Does she not want to latch, or is it a shallow latch? If she doesn't want to latch just keep offering it to her, but rub some milk on your nipple before you offer it so it will entice her to nurse. You may even want to stimulate your nipples until you have your let-down and then attempt to get her to latch while the milk is flowing. If she has an improper latch maybe you can try breast shields?

This link covers getting a baby back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/. The skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques are supposed to be especially helpful.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I just want to say, that it sucks when the doctor's agenda unnecessarily messes with your nursing relationship. Been there. That. is . all.

She's still young, with some hard work, I bet you'll be able to make this work! Good luck!
    MKR

Mom to 5 and loving it!

DS 2005, DS 2007, DD 2009, DS 2011, DS May 2013 (4lb 14 oz - 37 week IUGR)

Thanks for the advice. I've been drinking mothers milk tea and taking more mothers milk special blend (has anyone else took this pill?). Pumping every two hours and latching baby when she feels up too it, she gets frustrated though since nothing is coming out..towards the end of my pumping sessions though I'm getting this insanely thick yellow 'discharge' coming from my breast. Only a couple drops from each nipple. Hoping that means real milk isn't to far behind?

That discharge is real milk. When milk production is slowing to a stop, there's a process called mammary involution that takes place. The involution milk is scanty in quantity, thick and not very watery, and very rich in immune support factors like lactoferrin. It's excellent for your baby to drink it, though many babies are reluctant to do so because involution milk is usually quite salty.

Keep going, mama! You're doing an awesome job! If you keep pumping, you're going to bring your volume up and you'll be seeing the "real" milk you're looking for.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So glad to hear so! Thank you, you've been such a nice help for me!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ekrebs View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I've been drinking mothers milk tea and taking more mothers milk special blend (has anyone else took this pill?). Pumping every two hours and latching baby when she feels up too it, she gets frustrated though since nothing is coming out..towards the end of my pumping sessions though I'm getting this insanely thick yellow 'discharge' coming from my breast. Only a couple drops from each nipple. Hoping that means real milk isn't to far behind?
    I've taken the mother's milk special blend and I love it. I believe that it has been the difference in being able to EBF. It helps stimulate the tissues needed to get the supply going.