Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore breast but no lump..

Default Sore breast but no lump..

Ive been sick the past few days and today My one breast it extremely sore and it hurts so badly to nurse but I don't feel any hard lumps. I've had clogged ducts before but they usually come with the lumps so could this just be the beginning of it or something else?? What can I do to keep this from getting worse??

Default Re: Sore breast but no lump..

Do you have flu like symptoms, a fever, red spots on your breast? Sometimes the clogs are deep in there and you can't feel them. Best thing to do is keep nursing as much as possible from the affected breast! I know it hurts Rest as much as possible.

Are you on antibiotics for your sickness? It could be thrush (even if you aren't on antibiotics). My left breast had thrush, but the breast itself wasn't hot, didn't have any lumps, I didn't have a fever but I had this pain that almost felt like a stabbing pain at times and it progressively got worse over a few days. My daughter didn't show any signs of thrush in her mouth but when I took the Diflucan pill my symptoms went away by the next day and I didn't have any issues after that.

Something similar has happened to me before. My breast really hurt to touch and during nursing but had no heat/lumps/etc. It especially hurt during let-down.
    I would keep nursing on that side as much as possible in the meantime but it wouldn't hurt to make a Dr.'s appt. just to check.
    Are you running a fever? If the symptoms persist or start to get worse it's something I would get checked out- just to be safe.
    mom to one beautiful 10/31/13

The lump started forming-it's on the top of my breast. Don't know how I'm going to get DD to nurse with her chin facing that way-seems impossible!

Put her on her back on the floor and dangle the breast in from above. Dangle nursing also gives baby a bit of a gravity assist in drawing the milk out.

Do you have a pump? If baby isn't able to clear this on her own, pumping is your next best bet.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I found that firmly massaging the lump area towards the nipple, right after nursing, helped me the most. Firmly press the hard area with the heel of your hand and keep it depressed while moving towards the nipple area. It will hurt somewhat but that means it's working You could often see a stream of milk coming out if you press that area. Keep doing that till no more milk comes out. Then bring the baby back to nurse for as long as he'll let I found this to be a lot better than a pump because the pump doesn't know where you need that extra suctioning and it's not like a real human baby. Hope you feel better soon. Dangle feeding is also an option, like mommal suggested.

Firmly pressing the hard area clockwise and then anti clockwise helped me.