Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused about weaning....

Default Confused about weaning....

My LO is a week away from being 1. I have dropped to two pumps at work and over the next month I want to work towards one and then none! I am confused about weekends and supply. I guess I just nurse when he asks and I hope I have milk? If I don't then it's ok? Am I over thinking this? I want him to drink water from a sippy cup the rest of the day but really haven't had much success in offering that instead.

My LO currenty gets 4 bottles while I am at work. We are going to 3 bottles this week. I always nurse when we get home and before bed. On weekends I nurse in the morning, before his morning nap, before afternoon nap, and before bed. Also sometimes he wants to nurse around lunch time and later in the afternoon. It's usually between 5 ore 6 times and he nurses once at night. I honestly really want to cut down on this - I like nursing but at this stage would prefer to nurse morning, naps and at bedtime. Then I want to cut out naps, and then morning, and then night.

I was reading on other posts to "not offer, not refuse" but I always offer after work, and I always offer at nap time. I also offer before we go out for errands, etc. I offer way to often is what I am learning but it's such a habit.

And has anyone put BM in a sippy cup - can you warm up a sippy cup? I wanted to try to send him to daycare with BM in a sippy so he would want to drink something out of the cup but I feel those cups are not made to be heated up like that.

I'm really all over the place thinking about how this can be done or will happen. I am really working hard to make sure he gets 3 meals and then a snack so we can cut back on bottles.

Default Re: Confused about weaning....

"Don't offer don't refuse" is certainly a valid way to wean and it works for many mothers-- but it is not the only way! If you want to offer, and your baby is willing to accept, and you are happy with that arrangement then it's perfectly okay! If you only want to nurse during certain times of day, that is fine too and manageable-- but "don't offer don't refuse" won't work for you if this is your goal.

I am beginning this process myself, of only nursing DS3 during certain times of day (he is 2 though, so older than your lo). With any habit that you want to instill (or break) in your toddler-aged child, consistency is the key. If you want to get into the habit of only nursing three times a day, it shouldn't take long to develop this habit, IF you are consistent. Your lo might object at first, but you can find ways to divert his attention/continue to give him the love and nurturing that he wants without resorting to nursing. And he will still get to nurse, too, just when it works for you. And there are advantages, I think, to doing it this way. He will learn to be patient. He will learn that his need for love and attention can be met in many different ways. He will learn structure, and that he can count on you being there for him on a consistent basis-- that he doesn't NEED to ask in order to get what he needs, he will get what he needs in good time regardless. And he will find other ways to entertain himself/soothe himself in between nursing sessions.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jmom16 View Post
    And has anyone put BM in a sippy cup - can you warm up a sippy cup? I wanted to try to send him to daycare with BM in a sippy so he would want to drink something out of the cup but I feel those cups are not made to be heated up like that.
    I guess it depends on your kid and how sensitive he is, but when I started giving my boys cow's milk at 1 year I never bothered to warm it up but just gave it to them cold. It didn't seem to bother them...
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Your supply will be fine if you want to continue nursing when you are together. Many moms pump wean at 1 year old, but continue to nurse for as long as they wish. Past a year, your supply is well established and regulated to be there when you need it (even on weekends ).

It sounds to me like you're maybe not entirely clear yourself on how you want to proceed with nursing. And that's okay! You made it to a year, which is amazing. If you feel strongly that that is enough and you want to start down the road toward weaning, don't offer, don't refuse is a gentle way to do that. If you want to just continue as you are now and see what happens a month, 3 months, 6 months, a year from now, that's great too! This is definitely a good age to start making nursing more of a 2-way street, meaning you can start setting limits and teaching nursing etiquette. Though, it may be a few months before your baby is developmentally able to really understand and consistently stick to it.

Breastmilk continues to provide an excellent source of nutrition as well as numerous immunological and emotional benefits to your baby well into the second year (and more) of life. The American Association of Pediatricians recommends breastfeeding continue at least through the first year and as long afterward as desired by mother and child. The World Heath Organization recommends nursing for at least the first two years and as long afterward as mutually desired. So there is certainly no rule saying you MUST wean at a year and there are many benefits to continuing. The key is to do so in a way you and baby are both comfortable with and feel is sustainable.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Ok so if I stop pumping at work I may still have milk on weekends if he wants to nurse during the day? That part really confuses me! I think I also worry that what if he isn't ready to give up his bottles of BM and I don't have anything to send in! I only have a small supply in the freezer but it's not like I can stop pumping just now. I think I will still have a few weeks of pumping twice a day and then I probalby will do a few weeks of pumping once aday. I am going to take a gradual approach to stopping (though some mornings I wake up and I think OMG I do not want to pump today! so maybe I will cut short that gradual approach....).

I guess too that when we run out of BM he could have a rough few days but he will learn that he gets water and cows milk in a sippy cup. I just have to trust that that will work.

]Ok so if I stop pumping at work I may still have milk on weekends if he wants to nurse during the day?
    Yes. Probably not as much as you would if you were pumping at work and maintaining a generally higher daytime supply, but if your LO works at it he will get milk out of the breast even if you stop pumping.

I'm glad you're going to take a gradual approach to pump weaning. That's the best way to wean- you're less likely to end up with engrogement, plugged ducts, or mastitis.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I stopped pumping at 13 mos and continued nursing my daughter with no problems until she was 2. Many moms here pump wean at a year and continue to nurse. If you feel your baby may continue to need those bottles during the day, it may be a good idea to keep pumping for a little while and taper them down. Replace one bottle a day with a sippy of water or cow's milk (if you want to offer it- as long as you're still nursing 3-5 times a day, she doesn't nutritionally need a milk replacement) and see how it goes. I definitely don't blame you for wanting to give up the pump, I was SO sick of it by the time I quit.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous