Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting daycare - daytime feeds and naps?

Default Starting daycare - daytime feeds and naps?

I'd be very grateful for some thoughts on our upcoming transition to my return to work!

Specifically I had two questions:
    - If my 16 month old is no longer nursing during the day the 4 days a week I am at work, will there be any milk there for her if she tries to nurse during the day on weekends? I will keep nursing her in the early morning and evening.

- My daughter still nurses to sleep for her two naps, and often mid-nap. She does put herself to sleep at night after nursing. I'm worried about how she will fall asleep for naps at daycare. I have read that toddlers will often adapt to the new situation. Does anyone have any tips, success stories etc?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Starting daycare - daytime feeds and naps?

Answers to your questions:

1. Definitely. I would pump two times a day on work days but nurse more often than that on weekends. When I pump weaned, I still had enough when he nursed on weekends. Even these days I nurse just once a day and if he wanted more than that on some random day, there would be something. There might not be plenty, but you wouldn't be empty either!

2. I read that babies understand adults very well. At home your kid knows you will nurse to sleep and while asleep so expects that of you. But in daycare, they obviously won't be doing that so they're fine without the sleep associations. I never had that experience because my baby didn't really nurse to sleep past 3-4 months (only at bedtime) but he also fell asleep without nursing. What happens now when you are not near your baby and she needs to go down for a nap? Like when someone else is watching her?
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

With the PP.

Thanks so much for your replies. I should have mentioned that I don't pump (gave up on that in the early months when I never got more than an ounce or two after 30 mins ). I guess that means my daytime supply may be affected?

@llli*ruchiccio, my baby basically has almost never gone to sleep without me! When she was younger her daddy used to be able to rock her to sleep but after she full out rejected rocking, nursing became the main approach and we didn't really stress about it -- until now!!

There is no such thing as a daytime supply and nighttime supply. If milk production reduces, it reduces overall, and that will possibly affect the nursing relationship. Of course, so might separations anyway.

The way to keep production adequate is to not reduce the overall frequency of milk removal. It sounds like, Right now baby nurses 4 times in 24 hours? Couldn't you continue to manage that many nursing sessions most days after you return to work? The exact times may change but if you keep overall frequency similar, your production will theoretical be fine even if you do not pump. And nursing more on weekends may help as well.

On the other hand, if your breasts are used to baby nursing during the hours you will now be separated, you may become uncomfortable or even get plugs or something. So you might wish to consider pumping or hand expressing as needed if that becomes an issue.

Getting child down for naps when you are not there is not your responsibility, and there is nothing you can do about it even if it were.

Children will behave differently for a different caregiver, and that may mean less nap time, or it may mean more nap time. This is true of nursing children as well as non nursing children. Nursing moms who smartly use their "I can nurse child to sleep" superpower are often told it is their fault if baby does not "nap well" when mom is not there. But this is baloney.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; June 25th, 2015 at 10:45 AM.