Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will only nap on boob

Default Will only nap on boob

Anyone have any advice for my 13 month old who has decided she'll only nap attached to my boob? I obviously don't want to sit there for 2+ hours:/
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Will only nap on boob

Will she nap in the stroller? I used to nurse my baby around nap time, and then put her in the stroller wide awake. Within 5 minutes she was asleep, and would generally stay asleep for a nice long time!

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not the most experienced woman on here, so you might want to wait for other opinions!

Could you give us more details about what's happening?
    Are any other variables influencing the nap?
    Do you bedshare or cosleep?
    What's the normal napping situation like?

I have a baby around the age of yours, and incoming molars and huge developmental milestones seem to be influencing my little one's need for comfort and connection.
    Last edited by @llli*thawingsnow; June 12th, 2015 at 09:43 PM.

I'm in the same situation with an 18 mo old. She will only nap while nursing! I am having to lay down with her for naps which can get super annoying. I have no good suggestions for you but am following hoping to gain some advice too!

If you can, bring a book to lie down with and take it as me time?

Follow up, sorry I always forget my pw and have to wait until I'm at my computer.
    I have a 3yo at home so napping with her isn't an option. We do not co-sleep I typically nurse her in the rocking chair and put her in her crib when she's done. It could be millstones though she did that a couple weeks again when she got her top front teeth, and FINALLY started swallowing food that wasn't pureed. There was a 2 month period of chewing and spitting it out.
    She's not a great napper and is too alert to sleep well in a stroller;/. However we turned a corner yesterday and she took a one hour nap. She's currently in her crib napping I'll see how long she lasts today.
    Thanks for all your thougths!

I have a 3 year old too. My 3 month old naps in the ergo mostly now. I'm hoping that continues to work. Good luck for continued nap success

My 14 month old is the same. I would love to hear solutions.

So far, what I've found is that he'll sleep (not as well) in his car seat, in his stroller, or in the ergo on my back if I feed him first and time it just right. You can't leave a baby asleep alone in a car seat or stroller because of strangulation and airway concerns, but you can at least have your hands free that way.

I've found the Pantley pull off from the No Cry Sleep Solution moderately useful, in that it will give me 30 minutes detached before the baby cries again and needs to nurse back to sleep. Again, I can't leave, but I'm detached for a bit.

I work from home, so I use the time to work quietly in my phone. Are there any errands you can do online? Use the time to order your groceries and toiletries, etc.?

I have been there! My daughter is currently 18 months and used to do the same thing (I'm not remembering at what age now). What has worked for us is to nurse side-lying on our bed. When she is pretty asleep, I will insert a finger into her mouth to gently unlatch her. If she startles, I'll nurse longer or lightly close and hold her jaw. Then I am able to roll away and do some things around the house. (A win for both of us!) We do this at nighttime too.

I hope this is of some encouragement! They really do move from one phase to the next more quickly than we imagine. My daughter used to only sleep in carriers, and then on my chest, etc. They are so adaptable and so are we as mamas, fortunately! I hope you are able to find something that works for you!

Also, finding something that feels relaxing or rewarding has helped me feel anxious about "moving onto the next thing" and waiting for her to fall asleep. Watching a show on my phone or catching up with friends (quietly via text) has proved to keep me more patient as she is falling asleep nursing.

You are doing a fantastic job breastfeeding your little one! Hold on, mama!

I'm currently in this position. My baby girl is 19 months and has never napped without me holding her nursing on her boob. Get use to it. I've sat for 1-3 hours well she sleeps. Just remember this one day this will all end and you will miss these days. That's how I think of it. Good luck